Provides managerial oversight, supervision and direction for the Accounting department staff in order to ensure reliable and timely billing, banking, financial reporting and all accounting related activities. Also responsible for the budgeting process of the Cooperative. Responsible for overseeing all purchasing and inventory control processes of the Cooperative.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the preparation of the Cooperative's annual budget.
- Responsible for the timely and accurately processing of accounts payable and receivable.
- Responsible for the timely development of accurate monthly financial reports.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining Department budget.
- Responsible for establishing purchasing procedures and that appropriate inventory control processes are in place.
- Must have knowledge and understand detailed activities relating to the completion of the monthly general ledger, Financial and Statistical Report and all associated subsidiary accounts, schedules and ledgers.
- Must be knowledgeable of the semi-monthly payroll process.
- Must have knowledge of work flow process relating to the inventory, construction and work order cost accounting systems.
- Must understand federal, state and local government tax policies and procedures, and coordinate the preparation of reports to governmental agencies concerning tax, accounting and financial data.
- Must have knowledge of inventory control processes, procedures, material storage and distribution decision for the disposition of salvage materials.
- Must have knowledge concerning the process of balancing the general and subsidiary accounts and ledgers.
- Manage, coach, counsel and direct the staff of the Accounting department according to Cooperative policies.
- Authorize over-time and after hours work and approve all paid time off (PTO) and time records for department personnel.
- Ensure supervision of department staff on both daily work assignments and major projects.
- Ensure staff within the department understand and accept the duties and responsibilities set forth in their job descriptions, and are qualified.
- Conduct employee evaluations and performance appraisals with follow-up in selecting and recommending employee training or other solutions where needed.
- Counsel with departmental personnel as needed, with the goal of developing an effective and highly motivated team.
- Be responsible for the quality and quantity of all work performed by departmental personnel.
- Baccalaureate degree in business or accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Ten years related business or utility experience.
- Five years of supervisory experience or appropriate training is preferred.
- NRECA Cooperative Supervisory and Management Essentials Certification programs.
- Previous experience and knowledge of office and outside procedures, wholesale and retail billing procedures, payment procedures, collection techniques, and accounting principles.
- Must have valid Texas driver’s license and related insurance.