Requisition Number 17-0035
Post Date 6/22/2017
Title APPRENTICE METERMAN/WOMAN
City North Fort Myers
JOB TITLE: Apprentice Meterman/Woman
Position Number: BUH023
Department: Meter Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Division: Electric Operations
Location: North Fort Myers
Supervisor’s Title: Supervisor, Meter Services
These positions are for the purpose of training employees to become Journeymen Meter Tester / Installers. The position is responsible for installing and maintaining electricity metering at the level of accuracy specified by LCEC standards & regulatory requirements, locating & testing underground cable, locating cable faults, maintaining and setting voltage recorders, bucket truck testing, and dielectric testing of aerial devices, under the supervision & guidance of Meter Tester Installers & Lead Meter Tester Installers. This is considered a training position.
The training involves on-the-job training (OJT), correspondence courses (after work hours/self paced), and performance of various tasks under the direction/approval of Meter Tester Installers and Lead Meter Tester Installers.
• To attain full qualification as a Journeyman Tester Installer in four years.
• Install, test, maintain & repair electricity meters & associated equipment, ensuring installations are in accordance with expected loads. Ensure metering equipment accurately measures energy & demand information for revenue billing purposes
• Conduct voltage surveys & analyze test results. Detect & correct abnormal voltage conditions.
• Perform dielectric testing of aerial devices
• Collect and analyze data for Radio Frequency Interference complaints
• Test & locate underground cable & locate underground cable faults. Ensure the electrical and mechanical integrity of underground cable and aid in the repair of faulted underground cable.
• Complete all work in compliance with the provisions of the “Manual of Safe Practices” ensuring the safety of the employee, his/her co-workers and the general public.
• Maintain effective working relationships with employees and customers at all levels within LCEC. Ensure smooth operations, productive communications and effective understanding during all interpersonal contacts. Provide current and accurate information to all requesters, courteously and in a timely manner. Requirements
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Valid Florida driver’s license
• Basic PC skills
• See physical demands and work environment.
• One (1) year experience working in a related electric utility engineering, construction or metering related field
• Certification(s) in electrical and/or electronic theories and concepts
• Experience handling hand tools (i.e. power, hydraulic & pneumatic)
• Experience or education in electrical theory (e.g. courses through ICS or Votech in electrical theory)
• College level mathematics training or education.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
• Physical Demands: Must be able to lift 50 pounds frequently and 100 pounds occasionally, climb in/out of bucket trucks, squeeze tools with approximately 80 pounds of force, drive large vehicles and heavy equipment, work from the basket of a bucket truck or extension ladder at various heights while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE), work at night and extended hours.
• Work Environment: Mostly outside in inclement weather (extreme heat, thunderstorm, and occasional cool temperatures).
Please note that at the time a candidate is made a job offer, the candidate will be subject to a background check and a drug test which will include screening for tobacco.