Position Location: Carmel, Indiana; Eagan, MN; Little Rock, AR
MISO ensures reliable operation of, and equal access to, high-voltage power lines in 15 U.S. states and the Canadian province of Manitoba. MISO manages one of the world’s largest energy markets, with more than $25.3 billion in annual gross market energy transactions. MISO was approved as the nation’s first regional transmission organization in 2001. The not-for-profit organization is governed by an independent board of directors and is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana.
MISO’s Vision is to be the technology leader of the Independent System Operators (ISOs). The drive behind this is because of what we do and why we do it, equating to our sense of purpose to maximize the grid’s performance, availability and resiliency through innovative people, process and technology for today and the future. Our drive to manage IT as a business comes from our agility and entrepreneurial approach to make the most of how we invest our time, money, and focus to achieve our strategy. We leverage automation, metrics and other best practices to reduce cycle times, risks, costs, to free up our resources to focus on what is the most valuable for MISO. Our people, our effective processes, and continued investment optimizes our grid’s technology platform for growth and security and positions MISO to handle the exponential speed at which technology changes.
MISO - YouTube
Work closely with teams across IT and the business to continually improve software, solution and overall system quality as a vehicle to deliver overall higher quality IT. Improve process, practice and tools in support of infrastructure development (Infrastructure as Code), software development and delivery (CI/CD) and automation to improve IT services.
- Serve as an advocate for quality practices including the development of automated testing to improve business processes.
- Act as a critical part of a multi-team effort to deliver, manage and maintain configuration automation to meet business needs.
- Document, design and re-design various processes to continually improve service to the organization.
- Responsible for the day to day management and administration of Infrastructure as Code components to meet business needs.
- Accountable for the quality development of enabling automation, application development, infrastructure development and overall IT service improvement.
- Manage CI & CD tools and pipeline as a partner to development teams.
- Serve as a critical voice enabling quality practices throughout IT.
- Play a central role in re-imagining processes to improve IT services.
- Create and maintain configuration standards for software and infrastructure
- Develop and socialize operational standards for teams throughout IT.
- Develop Infrastructure as Code (IaC) capabilities through software development, guiding vendor and product selection and developing standards
- Serve as a thought leader and partner to security, compliance and architecture teams
- Monitor technology and organizational trends in IaC, CI / CD, DevOps and DevSecOps in order to mature and continually improve MISO IT services
- Ability to make timely recommendations to effectively solve problems, using independent judgment consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations, and/or law.
- Professionally exercises discretion and independent judgment in day-to-day work
- Complete all other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field, or a minimum of 5-8 years relevant work experience
- At least one to three years of specific experience within any of the following: software design or development, infrastructure design or development or equivalent experience
- Previous energy industry experience, preferred
- Previous experience in a highly regulated industry, preferred
Appropriate level will be determined based upon experience and knowledge
- Experience with automation/configuration management using either Puppet, Chef or an equivalent
- Demonstrated experience installing, operating and troubleshooting a variety of open source technologies
- Strong experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Experience with software quality principles and associated tools for testing and analysis
- Knowledge of CI and CD practices and supporting tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Team City or similar)
- Demonstrated experience in documenting, designing and re-designing processes in an enterprise environment
- Experience with PaaS technologies such as containers, container orchestration and scheduling, service registration / discovery and monitoring (Docker, k8s, Open Shift, fabric8)
- Ability to communicate technically as well as non-technically across various levels of business
- Experience in a highly regulated environment with demonstrated success working with internal and external compliance partners
- Experience with automation in dynamic environments such as IaaS and PaaS (on premises, hosted and hybrid)Complete all other duties as assigned
- Experience with programmable infrastructure and Infrastructure as Code IaC tools and principles.
- Experience with manual and automated testing and quality practices.
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational database technologies.
- Knowledge of platforms (Linux, UNIX or Windows).
- Knowledge of network systems (Firewall, Router & switch).