Director of Information Security & Technology
The Director of Information Security & Technology is responsible for the management of the information security and technology (“IS&T”) environment at LIPA including its business applications, computing infrastructure, networks and cyber security. The Director must direct, plan, organize and control all activities related to IS&T and ensure the effective, efficient and secure operation of LIPA’s IS&T environment. Additionally, the Director is responsible for the oversight of LIPA’s Service Provider, PSEG Long Island, in its management of the information technology assets the service provider utilizes to operate the electric utility operations on Long Island. Specific responsibilities include the following:
For LIPA’s operations:
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the existing business applications and computing infrastructure used by LIPA staff;
- Ensure the protection of LIPA’s information and computing assets through a robust cyber security structure that evolves to address new and emerging threats;
- Develop long term plans and associated budgets for the future technology needs of the organization;
- Direct and organize the implementation of new business applications and computing infrastructure;
- Evaluate alternatives for the implementation of a new enterprise resource planning system for LIPA’s departments and work with LIPA staff to plan and implement the preferred alternative;
- Assist LIPA’s departments with creative IT solutions that enable near real-time access to and monitoring of Service Provider’s operational and financial information for the conduct of LIPA’s oversight role, including data analytics and data warehouse solutions;
- Monitor technology trends to identify and implement new technologies that enable LIPA to improve its business processes and reduce cost;
- Create, maintain and enforce written policies and procedures regarding all IS&T operations throughout LIPA;
- Create and execute an annual compliance schedule including inventory reviews, compliance tests and disposition of assets;
- Evaluate new equipment, software and processes continuously, recommend changes as appropriate and supervise their installation; and
- Supervise LIPA’s IT consultants in their performance of work to carry out these responsibilities.
For LIPA’s service provider’s operation, provide oversight of:
- Development of the service provider’s strategic plan for the information technology assets used to serve LIPA ;
- The viability and sustainability of the technologies, software products and vendors selected by the service provider, including monitoring technology trends within the electric utility industry and their application by the service provider;
- Development of the annual information technology plan and budget and its alignment with the strategic plan;
- Adequacy of the information technology assets to effectively support the business processes managed by the service provider;
- Project plans for major information technology projects including the costs, schedules and assumptions for the projects;
- Execution of major IT projects;
- Protection of customer and employee data;
- Cyber security profile and execution;
- Compliance with NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (“CIP”) requirements (assisting the Director of T&D System Oversight); and
- Service Provider’s compliance with the Operations Services Agreement, including performance standards and intellectual property rights.
(Knowledge and Experience Required)
- Proven experience as CIO or similar managerial role.
- Excellent knowledge of IT business applications and computing infrastructure.
- Background in designing, developing and implementing business applications systems and computing infrastructure in the utility industry or a similar industrial or fixed-assets intensive industry .
- Solid understanding and experience in budgeting.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent organizational, leadership and project management skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- BS/BA degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Economics or Business with strong emphasis on quantitative analysis.
- At least 5 years working at electric or natural gas utilities, regulatory agencies, utility consulting firms, or similar organizations.
- Experience and background in managing electric utility operations, such as customer service, transmission and distribution or support services.
- Demonstrated expertise in applying analytical tools, methodologies, and frameworks to business or policy issues in the electric or natural gas industries.
- Ability to analyze processes and data related to service provider’s performance and identify key trends and anomalies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior staff and the Board of Trustees on matters related to the service provider’s performance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including communicating with technical and managerial audiences.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Adaptable to changing business conditions and ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as build consensus and support teams in a professional manner.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail for timely and accurate completion.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft business suite including word processing, spreadsheets, statistical, and database applications are required. Familiarity with SAP a plus.
LIPA offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and responsibilities.
Interested parties should submit their cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to Barbara Ann Dillon, Director of Human Resources and Administration, at ITjob@lipower.org .
LIPA is an equal opportunity employer.