Location(s): MN - Maple Grove
Are you ready to take your leadership potential to the next level with a growing Fortune 500 company? Xcel Energy is at the leading edge of an industry that is changing quickly. We’re seeking dynamic, proven leaders to help guide us into this exciting energy future. If you’re looking to lead at a company that is committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship, with plenty of room to grow, consider a position at Xcel Energy.
Xcel Energy is looking for talented and experienced - Operations Supervisor- Electrical Substations to join the Xcel Energy team at the Maple Grove Service Center in Maple Grove, Minnesota! This position will focus on construction of new, and modification of existing substation facilities. Please verify that your education and/or experience meets the minimum requirements listed below. Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Supervises electrical substation construction staff to ensure the efficient and cost-effective use of construction resources for projects according to field operations policies and procedures to assure a safe reliable electric utility system while ensuring customer satisfaction. Ensure consistent and effective use of construction resources, tools and processes. Provide resident technical matter expertise, and real-time technical support services to design, construction and operations field forces. Supports attainment of corporate and business unit goals and objectives. Performs all duties and function as associated with Supervisor I position as needed. Verifies and approves of labor and equipment of contractor invoices.
Standard Operations Position. Supervise a high performing operations team while driving the safe, efficient and cost-effective use of resources according to policies and procedures. Assure safe, reliable, and compliant operations and ensure customer satisfaction. Ensure consistent and effective use of standard tools and processes. Support attainment of corporate and business unit goals and objectives, and process and performance metrics. Serve as a strong communicator of key strategic and operational changes.
- Responsible for effective and efficient use of resources with emphasis on safety, customer satisfaction, quality improvement, and regulatory compliance. Supervise assigned staff (bargaining and/or non-bargaining). Attract, recruit and retain qualified staff. Establish and communicate clear performance expectations and manage employee performance. Administer bargaining union agreements within area of responsibility. Remove obstacles, resolve variances and provide assistance to crew leaders and members to improve project and work performance.
- Directs field operations activities to ensure safe, reliable and cost effective distribution & transmission systems. Promote a safe work environment; conduct safety site audits and accident investigations. Manage O&M budgets for area including implementing plans, programs, contingencies and recommendations to meet budget and track expenses.
- Primary contact and responsibility for problem resolution involving labor. Responsible for compliance with Xcel Energy standards, federal, D.O.T, state and local regulations.
- Provide technical expertise in the construction, operations and maintenance of electrical substation transmission and distribution systems. Responsibilities include on call duties and assistance during emergency situations.
- Develop a daily work plan in coordination with the Field Operations Manager and Strategic Resource Planning personnel to meet the requirements of resource plan. Oversees assigned contract resources to specified work
- Maintain data integrity within the various systems used to manage daily work and scheduling activities. Create daily crew roster, which includes crew complement, location of work, equipment being used and equipment available. As needed, request locates and materials coordinate all equipment to complete the work. Perform radio/telephone-dispatching functions to eliminate non-productive field time.
- Safety: Provide visible safety leadership and drive real time safety accountability by engaging employees/crew through safety meeting facilitation, job briefs, audits, training, accident investigation/event assessment, and job site observations. Work in close partnership with Safety Consultant.
- Business Optimization & Strategy: Evaluate team performance based on operational efficiency, reliability and quality metrics; monitor trends, and take corrective action where appropriate. Ensure and reinforce the importance of process adherence and data integrity. Identify continuous improvement opportunities and drive adoption of process changes through effective communication of expectations and objectives.
- Operational Effectiveness: Responsible for crew productivity and quality of execution. Maintain a consistent presence in the work environment. Assist in removing barriers with pre-requisites, materials, stakeholder, and other issues. Align crew skills and availability to work activities through coordinators, planners, and schedulers, prioritizing customer satisfaction and reliability.
- Talent Management: Recruit talented employees, establish clear performance expectations and effectively manage performance. Provide training, coaching and oversight and drive employee engagement. Provide input and leadership in addressing bargaining unit issues, grievances, corrective actions, and future development.
- Relationship Management: Build and maintain effective internal and external relationships. Be knowledgeable of necessary systems and resources to assist employees, other work groups, and/or customers and stakeholders. Enable crews to provide solutions to issues and improve customer/stakeholder satisfaction.
- Regulatory & Compliance: Coordinate the execution and documentation of work in accordance with Xcel Energy policies and procedures, labor agreements, and regulatory standards. Support and ensure required compliance/technical training is completed. Establish, monitor, and track processes to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, associate's degree or technical degree or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge preferred.
- Three or more years in design, construction, operations, engineering or maintenance of utility systems/power generation plants or related industries/fields.
- Two years supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of gas or electric system construction, operations, maintenance standards & procedures and applicable government regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of union labor agreements.
- Proven results at achieving performance and operational metrics and driving process adherence
- Completion of an approved apprentice program in an appropriately related craft preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of utility finance preferred.
- Knowledge of PC and mainframe computer applications and analytical software.
- Demonstrated ability to handle several activities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships with diverse work groups; effective change leader with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate company/business area strategies and objectives to various stakeholders
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
The above content is intended to describe the general type and level of work performed.
It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
This position requires a behavioral assessment prior to being considered for an interview.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Maple Grove || MN - Maple Grove || United States (US) || Operations || 0329S:Electrical Substation Const. || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 5854
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com