The Long Island Power Authority (“LIPA”) is seeking a candidate for the position of Enterprise Risk Management (“ERM”) Analyst. The ERM Analyst will report to LIPA’s Director of Risk Management and support LIPA’s ERM Program. The ERM Analyst will help with continued development and enhancement of existing risk analytical tools, dashboards, monitoring reports and various other management presentation materials. The successful candidate will gain exposure to all aspects of the electric utility.
The ERM Program seeks to implement a risk identification, mitigation, and an active risk management program by utilizing a bottom-up (department level) approach to identify risks and mitigation plans for LIPA and its major service provider, PSEG Long Island (“PSEG LI”), with guidance from LIPA’s ERM staff, Executive Risk Management Committee and the Utility’s Senior Leadership Team. The ERM Program has adopted an approach that focuses on empowering the operating departments to manage their risks by providing them with the tools and capabilities to identify, assess and prioritize, develop response plans and to monitor and report risk trends up to senior management. Ultimately, the ERM Program strives to help management develop effective business strategies, while the rest of the organization focuses on development and monitoring the effectiveness of mitigation strategies. This approach enables management to consider the highest ranked risks across the organization when prioritizing capital allocations to reduce the likelihood and severity of risks which may affect the achievement of the utility’s mission, goals and key priorities.
The primary responsibilities of the ERM Analyst include:
- Assist with planning, scheduling and execution of the ERM program components across all utility departments in a timely manner, and assist in the further development and maturity of the overall ERM program;
- Prepare MS Excel risk dashboard templates and risk workshop presentation materials, in parallel for multiple departments;
- Develop and disseminate ERM risk identification dashboards and monitoring reports that promote meaningful and consistent risk management and board reporting;
- Assist departments across the organization track and monitor risk trends, key risk indicators (KRIs), key risk performance indicators (KPIs) and other performance metrics that may help inform business decisions;
- Proactively identify Enterprise Risk Assessment (“ERA”) process improvements which are consistent with utility best practices;
- Attend and participate in regional ERM roundtable meetings to identify leading ERM practices and processes for implementation at LIPA;
- Prepare meeting agendas and presentation materials to communicate ERM Program activities and recommend revised processes for consideration by LIPA’s Executive Risk Management Committee;
- Develop an emerging risk communication mechanism to report key emerging risks to management;
- Work with LIPA’s Director of Internal Audit and Director of Risk Management to administer internal operational risk management improvement processes; and
- Assist the ERM staff in preparing executive level reports for senior leadership and the Finance and Audit Committee of the LIPA board of Trustees on a periodic basis.
- Advanced degree with emphasis in ERM, Quantitative Analysis or Business Administration
- Minimum of 1-3 years’ professional experience as an analyst supporting Enterprise Risk Management or Business Performance Excellence/Improvement, preferably within the utility industry
- Experience working with qualitative and quantitative risk model
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other statistical and database applications such as Tableau, Active Risk Manager or similar risk data warehouse and visualization software applications
- Excellent communication skills for effective risk reporting and communicating the value of risk management
- Strong ability to analyze large amounts of data and effectively communicate key points to utility management
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management and the Board of Trustees
- Ability to work independently, manage and execute multiple projects within required timelines and expectations
LIPA offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and responsibilities.
Interested parties should submit their cover letter and resume to Barbara Ann Dillon, Director of Human Resources and Administration, at ERMAnalyst@lipower.org .
LIPA is an equal opportunity employer.