Cross Texas Transmission, LLC (“CTT”) is a transmission‐only electric utility in the ERCOT region of Texas, regulated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas. CTT owns and operates 345kV transmission assets in the Panhandle region of Texas. CTT’s facilities include a field operations complex in Amarillo and critical control centers located in Austin. The Austin location also serves as CTT’s corporate headquarters for legal, IT/OT, planning, accounting and regulatory compliance. This position will be located in the Austin office.
This position will function as a mid‐level System Administrator working with both corporate Information
Technology (IT) and critical control center Operation Technology (OT) systems. As a System
Administrator, this individual will assist the Lead System Administrator in effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related
Microsoft and appliance infrastructure. The System Administrator will help ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems and related procedures support the organizational mission of providing uncompromising security while maintaining the highest levels of reliable service.
The System Administrator will assist the Lead System Administrator to monitor, evaluate and enforce
CIP program implementation across CTT installations for both IT and OT networks and support systems.
The position will also assist with monitoring and maintaining the logging and alerting environments, researching patches, ensuring security controls are functioning as expected, and maintaining accurate documentation related to critical cyber assets. The individual will operate in a cross functional capacity working closely with vendors, engineers, operators, technicians and information technology resources.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS – SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
- Install new/rebuilt servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and operational requirements
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and related documentation
- Contribute to and maintain system standards in a technically challenging IT/OT environment
- Research and recommend innovative solutions and practical automated approaches for system administration tasks
- Identify best practice approaches that fit CTT needs and provide economies of scale
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled operations such as system backups
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions while evaluating patterns in attempted penetrations to classify potential threat vectors
- Administer backup operations and assist with electronic document management services, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up
- Manage and regulate user accounts on IT/OT systems
- Provide Tier 1 support across the CTT organization
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures
- Work to develop and implement a change management process for software maintenance including OS patches and upgrades and upgrades for administrative tools and other utilities
- Recommend, develop, maintain and update operational, configuration or other procedures
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS – CIP COMPLIANCE
- Monitors Electronic Access Control and Monitoring (EACM) tools for security related events
- Researches, analyzes and troubleshoots compliance and security related events
- Escalates security related issues as needed
- Produce and maintain clear and concise documentation of EACM tools
- Manage the creation, analysis and distribution of EACM reporting
- Maintain accurate lists of IP ports and services of related cyber assets
- Execute and document cyber security controls testing to validate security controls are present and operating as expected
- Utilize the EACM tools to create alerts related to cyber security events, maintain the list of critical cyber assets and cyber asset baseline information
- Store and maintain appropriate documentation to ensure compliance with CIP standards
- Assist technical staff with developing and maintaining RSAWs as required by the CIP program
- Assist with all regulatory reporting for ERCOT, Texas RE, NERC and FERC
- Maintain knowledge of ERCOT Nodal Protocols and Operating Guides, NERC Reliability
- Standards updates and other applicable regulatory rules as needed
- Provide administrative support with logistics and deliverables of internal and external audits and mock audits as needed
- Assist in monitoring costs associated with CIP compliance and support Compliance budget development and updates
- Create memos, letters, reports, contracts, specifications, procedures, policies, and related items
- Routinely attend NERC, Texas RE and ERCOT meetings and workshops to keep current with changes in NERC CIP Standards and Requirements.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Must be self‐motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described.
- Required skills include good communication, organization, critical thinking and a strong knowledge of modern software applications and document management strategies. Knowledge and understanding of electric utility business principles, compliance programs and operations is a plus.
- Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Advanced IT certification from Microsoft (MCSA or MSCE)
- Two to Four years system administration experience
- Experience with Energy Management Systems (EMS) and Supervisory Control and Data
- Acquisition (SCADA) is preferred
- Experience supporting CIP compliance in the electric utility business is a plus