THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN BIG BEAR LAKE, CALIFORNIA
The incumbent in this position will lead a support team in providing a variety of accounting functions pertaining to: budgeting, accounting, financial analysis, purchasing, payroll, contracting, capital work order processing, external and internal audits, collections, and property (facility, equipment and vehicle) management. In addition, the Accounting Supervisor will have a key role in providing and analyzing data necessary in regulatory and compliance filings, including general rate case and other filings and reports. The incumbent will work closely with the General Office (GO) Accounting and Finance Department to support Company reports, budgets, and other accounting tasks as directed by the GO. This position is responsible for the supervision and oversight of Accounting and Procurement staff.
The incumbent works closely with the BVES Director, GO Accounting and Finance, and Regulatory Affairs, in an environment of routinely sensitive and confidential issues. Therefore, the person in this position must have the ability to achieve and initiate policy objectives, including accountability for confidentiality of information. As a responsible professional on a supervisory level, the Supervisor must be able to work with others as well as independently, and exercise initiative and good judgment in the performance of the core job responsibilities of this position. The Supervisor is skilled in the ability to be accountable, answer questions, compile supporting data, and find immediate solutions as needed to facilitate a dynamic and high performance team and organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the functions of accounts payable, property accounting, budgeting, payroll support, purchasing, capital work order processing, warehousing, and facilities management.
- Oversees and directs all day-to-day accounting activities, including ensuring that data is entered properly into the accounting system.
- Oversees and directs the purchase of material and warehousing/inventory of material, ensuring adherence with the Company’s procurement policies and procedures.
- Ensures physical inventory control processes are in compliance with the Company’s procedures.
- Oversees processes for procurement; contracts, requisitions and purchase orders (POs), ensuring adherence with the Company’s procurement policies and procedures.
- Ensures invoices are properly assigned to contracts and processed by AP in accordance with the Company’s procurement policies and procedures.
- In close collaboration with Managers and GO Accounting and Finance, develops BVES’ operating budgets and capital budgets.
- In close collaboration with Managers and GO Accounting and Finance, provides capital, O&M and A&G budget forecasts and proposes adjustments to approved budgets as needed.
- Monitors actual expenditures against budgets and expenses and identifies variances between actual and budgeted items, determines the cause of the variance and works with Managers and GO Accounting and Finance to resolve any issues.
- Oversees, and develops as needed, financial reports, budget variance reports and special reports/studies.
- Prepares responses to GO Accounting and Finance information, report and/or data requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure expenses and revenues are accurately recorded in accordance with Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) uniform system of accounts.
- Provides recorded accounting data and forecasts as needed to support the Results of Operations (RO) model and General Rate Case (GRC) development. Responds to Data Requests and other inquiries by parties to GRC applications and other regulatory proceedings. Provides expert testimony as required in support of GRC application and other proceedings.
- Tracks rate adjustment accounts, memorandum accounts and other expense accounts to ensure proposer cost disposition.
- Oversees auditing functions for payroll, Purchase Cards and other systems/reports.
- Coordinates and acts as lead liaison in financial-related audits, both internal and external.
- Oversees adherences with compliance requirements of property and equipment leases.
- Oversees and assists with fleet management program, including vehicle acquisition, location systems, maintenance, disposal and reporting.
- Manages warehouse and stockyard.
- Manages hazardous material program including proper disposal of waste streams.
- Coordinates the administrative functions for facility management, security, network, telephones and office administration.
- Ensures all related processes are in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulatory requirements.
- Provides collection of miscellaneous accounts receivables; monitors monthly aging report, researches all accounts, prepares invoices and collection notices, coordinates collection process, and recommends write offs where appropriate.
- Provides training to BVES Staff and acts as Subject Matter Expert at BVES for all enterprise accounting software and asset management applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related discipline required.
- Five years related experience in finance and/or accounting and business administration, preferably with an electric utility company.
- Experience and/or knowledge of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) uniform system of accounts preferred.
- Experience and/or knowledge of regulated utility finance preferred.
- Proficient in the use of enterprise accounting software, asset management applications, and customer information and billing systems required. Specific experience with JD Edwards accounting software, PowerPlanTM asset management applications, and Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing (CC&B) package preferred.
- Excellent grasp of Microsoft Office applications, including advanced proficiency in use of Excel spreadsheets for financial analysis.