Position: Assistant General Counsel
Location: Middletown, DE
Responsible for exhibiting Chesapeake Utilities Corporation’s Mission, Vision and Values, regarding external customers, agencies, vendors, internal departments and co-workers. This position is responsible for providing legal support to all departments and subsidiaries relating to contracts, mergers & acquisitions, real estate transactions, human resources, corporate governance and regulatory matters before state public service commissions and federal regulatory agencies. In addition, this position is responsible for coordinating with business unit leaders or their designees the timing and content of communications with government officials and agencies, as well as with elected representatives, relating to regulatory and legislative matters affecting the Company.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Performs complex assignments under the general supervision of the Associate General Counsel.
- Researches and prepares written and oral advice to, and representation for, the Company on legal matters principally pertaining to contracts, mergers & acquisitions, real estate transactions, human resources, corporate governance and the Delaware, Maryland, Florida and Ohio Public Service Commissions (as well as other state commissions) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (as well as PHMSA, OSHA, and other federal agencies).
- Prepares final documents, coordinates investigations, and examines witnesses regarding various areas of public utility regulatory law.
- Provides legal advice, guidance and assistance to clients with respect to regulatory and other issues arising in the above-stated jurisdictions.
- Researches law and prepares memoranda of law.
- Represents Company before various regulatory agencies and courts including: determining Company strategy after consultation with business units and the Associate General Counsel; participating in hearings, workshops, and other proceedings; making arguments; drafting applications, briefs, rulemaking comments, legal memoranda, and discovery requests and responses; supervising the preparation of the testimony and exhibits of expert witnesses, including resource reports; and participating in settlement and other negotiations.
- As necessary and appropriate, provides support to outside counsel providing similar services.
- With the Associate General Counsel, manages outside counsel regarding legal services provided and billing for such services.
- Promotes and maintains a professional and positive working relationship with the state public service commissions and the federal regulatory agencies, as well as their respective staff representatives, while strongly representing the Company’s best interests. In addition, promoting and maintaining professional and positive working relationships with the state consumer advocate agencies in Delaware, Maryland, Florida and Ohio.
- Stays informed of regulatory and legislative activity that may have an impact on the present and future operations of the Company or its employee.
- Reviews, comments and, when necessary and upon proper authorization, intervenes on the Company’s behalf with regard to any proposed legislation that may potentially impact the Company’s present and future operations.
- Consults with Public Service Commission and federal regulatory agency Staff on specific Company-related issues.
- Ensures all communications are consistent with business unit and/or corporate directives.
- Knowledge of, supports and participates in the Company’s Brand DNA and Service Excellence Standards.
- Participates in industry organizations such as the American Gas Association and the Energy Bar Association and develops/maintains working relationships with other local, state, and federal agencies with respect to work being performed by the business units.
- Monitors and reports regulatory affairs issues and developments pertaining to natural gas industry trends.
- Identifies and analyzes industry regulatory decisions having a material impact on the business units.
- Supports the development of and participates in business presentations given to local and state agencies, communities, businesses, and other interested parties that support the business unit's goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requires……a total commitment to Chesapeake Utilities Corporation’s Mission, Vision and Values and:
- Juris Doctorate and member of the Bar of a State court of highest jurisdiction.
- At least five (5) years of legal experience.
- Working knowledge of the policies, procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Company and the natural gas industry.
- Ability and willingness to travel to various Company locations.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills (both oral and written).
- Exceptional analytical, judgment, and reasoning skills.
- Strong organizational skills to handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Innovative and creative thinking to foster regulatory solutions to meet the needs of the business units.
- Must successfully pass a writing sample assessment.
- At least five (5) years of legal experience in natural gas or electric industry.
- Familiarity with the Delaware, Maryland, Florida and Ohio Public Service Commissions.
- Progressively responsible experience demonstrating skill in practicing law before a state of federal regulatory agency.
- Current member of the Delaware, Maryland or Florida Bar.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in business, accounting, finance, or engineering.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS: Maintain and operate safely all company motor vehicles, office, computer equipment and any other equipment necessary to accomplish the essential functions.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFETY OF OTHERS: Maintain familiarity with O&M Safety Procedures Manual.
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: This is essentially a sedentary work setting in a comfortable office atmosphere, requiring minimum physical effort.
- MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Considerable ability is required in communicating, both in speaking and writing. A high level of visual acuity is needed to work with numbers.
- Office surroundings and environment. Occasional travel required.