PurposeTo perform professional technical and analytical functions in distribution and transmission facilities including the development and administration of design and construction standards, specifications, and procedures to ensure compliance with all relevant safety and engineering codes, laws and regulations.To perform professional technical and analytical functions in distribution and transmission facilities including the development and administration of design and construction standards, specifications, and procedures to ensure compliance with all relevant safety and engineering codes, laws and regulations.This position is a Civil Service position with a salary range of: $98,219 - $130,155
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Electrical Engineering or related fieldExperience:
Three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, construction and operation of electric utility distribution systems.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and administration of construction and design standards pertaining to electrical transmission and distribution, including equipment specifications and procedures designed to meet SMUD requirements as well as local, state, and federal safety and engineering codes, laws, and regulations; contributes to the development and construction of utility power system projects by preparing designs of electrical facilities such as distribution sub-stations, distribution lines, and standard and non-standard service facilities; prepares draft technical specifications for equipment purchases and electrical systems; coordinates with all internal and external stakeholders to solicit their input and feedback into standard design.
- Ensures the selection and performance of vendors in accordance with SMUD requirements, writes specifications for equipment and material bid requests; develop and execute equipment trials or pilot projects to evaluate material and equipment; perform technical evaluation of bids; reviews vendor designs, material submittals and drawings; inspects and reports on contractors’ manufacturing and testing procedures; performs final inspection of received equipment and materials.
- Ensures that materials and equipment utilized in the design, construction and maintenance of SMUD power distribution and transmission facilities meet established standards, specifications, and quality requirements; performs source inspections of manufacturing facilities for pre-qualification and during production; prepares receipt inspection procedures; conducts receiving inspection on critical items; works with the test laboratory to conduct electrical and mechanical tests on new materials to determine suitability for intended use and compliance with specifications; communicate with suppliers and manufacturers to resolve equipment related problems including failures, warranty issues and non-compliance; work with SMUD Supply Chain and Warehouse to monitor vendor performance and inventory related issues.
- Maintains working relationships with vendors, suppliers, distributors, other internal departments and work groups that interface with assigned projects; develops and maintains clear and open channels of communication; obtains and dispenses information necessary to projects; confers on situations and problems of mutual concern.
- Under the close guidance of Senior and/or Principal level Distribution Design Engineers, increases technical knowledge and expertise by learning and performing the following functions/duties: develops distribution line design and construction standards; evaluates new distribution line materials and equipment; coordinates trial material and equipment installations and performs comprehensive review of application, construction issues, test results, and performance; initiates stock material specifications for new material purchases, modifications, or deletion of obsolete equipment to maintain supply of safe, high quality equipment to build SMUD’s distribution overhead and underground lines and facilities; inspects manufacturers’ plant facilities to evaluate their production procedures and capabilities; determines quality control measures and test material methods to improve uninterrupted flow, quality, and cost reduction of SMUD stock distribution materials; analyzes failed distribution equipment/materials and recommends corrective actions; designs transmission sub-stations.
- Performs a variety of duties to support the overall achievement and completion of department project; assists in planning, reviewing, and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract.
- Performs related duties as required.