Business Process Specialist (Client Relations)
Job Requisition Number
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job, plus one (1) year experience related to the job.
Experience may be substituted for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The Business Process Specialist position will manage various projects associated with the Client Relations group at Austin 3-1-1. This position will be responsible for working collaboratively in a team environment. This position will have interactions with both internal and external stakeholders to include creating and delivering communications, coordinating cross-functional initiatives and implementing agreed upon outcomes. The position will be supporting and attending outside business functions such as managing clients’ project accounts and attending events that support Austin 3-1-1; events are held both during the day and after hours as determined by business needs. The ideal candidate will have: experience working independently in a fast-paced environment; the ability to manage multiple, high-profile projects simultaneously; the ability to approach a challenge with an open mind, identify possible solutions, provide professional recommendations and execute tasks; the ability to use discretion in handling details of a highly confidential and sensitive nature; the ability to be collaborative, assertive, and model a professional demeanor and integrity; and have excellent business writing, proofreading, and communication skills.
If you are selected to interview:
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as “see résumé” will not be accepted.
- Responses to Supplemental Questions must reference your work history listed in the Employment Record section. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be assessed through computer-based skills testing.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- If you are selected for this position, and meet the City of Austin Driving Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations in order to maintain the safe delivery of electric service for the City of Austin.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
$24.59 – $31.91
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm with some flexibility.
- Austin 311 is a 24×7 business unit and some evening, weekend and holiday shifts may be required.
- This position is considered “essential” which may require you to work outside of normal business hours.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
1520 Rutherford Lane, Bldg. 4, Austin, TX 78754
- Proven high level of organizational skills with the ability to plan for and meet multiple deadlines, and prioritize action items with appropriate sense of urgency
- Ability to manage and execute process improvement initiatives/projects
- Experience coordinating, collaborating, and working effectively with other departments or units within an organization
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective communication and work relationships with clients, peers, elected officials and the general public
- Ability to understand, interpret, and develop solutions to complex process challenges
- Experience in managing multiple customer relationship accounts
- Experience developing and delivering training programs and presentations
- Experience explaining technical information to non-technical audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2013
- Experience using Visio or other flowchart/diagramming software
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Assists in planning, executing and closing projects in a variety of operational and/or administrative situations related to specific assignments/areas.
2. Assists in preparation of recommendations for implementation of new or revised policies, procedures, and/or process changes/improvements. Write reports that summarize findings, data collection techniques, implementation options, etc.
3. Establishes project schedules using project planning software/tools, updates and maintains project status reports. Communicate project/process status.
4. Develops and maintains databases to support data analysis and research findings for business projects.
5. Conduct research, analyze trends, determine accuracy and relevancy of data/information, and use sounds judgment to evaluate alternatives.
6. Facilitates and documents meetings, action items, and processes using flowcharting methodologies.
7. Maintains positive working relationships with managers, supervisors, employees and other stakeholders to gain their cooperation and support. Responsibilities
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of business strategies, objectives, planning, development and management processes and process improvement
- Knowledge of research methodologies, cost/benefit analysis, statistics and financial modeling
- Knowledge of applicable City of Austin, state and federal statutes, ordinances and codes
- Knowledge of performance measures, quality improvement programs and project management methods
- Skill in oral and written communication using a variety of formats including: print communication, electronic format, presentations and telephonic
- Skill in using computers and related software applications
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular data and situations
- Ability to work independently and with teams
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.