Due to the pending retirement of the Chief Financial Officer, Missoula Electric Cooperative (MEC) invites applications for this leadership position that reports directly to the General Manager.
The CFO will direct the affairs of the Accounting Department by setting the direction of their activities, and achieving strategic goals in pursuit of MEC’s vision, “Our business is providing energy. Our mission is serving our Members.” The successful candidate will be one of integrity with an unwavering commitment to effective communication and teambuilding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Performs other duties as assigned by management applying the same skill and enthusiasm as with regularly assigned responsibilities. All duties are to be performed as instructed in training and following written procedures or policies if applicable, unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise.
- Assists the General Manager and others in evaluating, formulating, and implementing programs, policies, contracts and methods to promote and facilitate the effective and efficient operation of the Cooperative.
- Participates in the development, evaluation, and implementation of the Cooperative’s strategic plan, and articulates the purpose processes, resources available, expected results and organizational impact of strategic initiatives
- Fosters a culture of excellence and a work environment that encourages team member ownership, proactive actions, and positive interactions.
- Coordinates the annual audit by the independent auditing firm, reviews the completed audit report and confers with the auditors to determine areas requiring corrective action and implements such action.
- Develops the Cooperative's budget and work plan for approval by the General Manager, monitors expenditures and recommends changes for corrective action.
- Initiates the internal auditing program to provide effective control and safeguarding of Cooperative assets by reviewing current systems and policies, recommends changes when necessary and implements changes as directed.
- Prepares financial, statistical and other management reports in a timely manner and presents to the General Manager.
- Develops general accounting and member accounting procedures and implements changes as directed.
- Supervises daily activities of Cooperative Accounting and Financial Services personnel.
- Directs the maintenance and administration of the Cooperative's electronic data processing and management information systems.
- Manages investments and cash flow needs of the Cooperative and coordinates short term needs with long term objectives.
- Assists management team in establishing and monitoring annual system goals of performance, productivity and profitability and assists in the review and assessment of Cooperative policies, procedures and financial performance.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and county tax laws and preparation of tax statements required of the Cooperative.
- Provides oversight and direction for record retention and destruction process.
- Reviews and approves journal entries, accounts payable invoices, payroll processing, cash disbursements, purchase orders, and bank reconciliations.
- Keeps personnel under his/her supervision informed of changes in policies and procedures and of appropriate information obtained at Cooperative meetings.
- Reads, understands and follows all applicable safety rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Directly supervises the Accounting & Financial Service Department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Review the daily operations of the Accounting personnel to assure quality and quantity of production. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The employee uses initiative and judgment to determine how to proceed with assignments. Various methods and procedures are available, and the employee determines those best suited to each task. The employee is expected to plan the sequence of steps and use judgment to solve even unusual problems, occasionally adapting methods and techniques to fit unusual circumstances. The supervisor may review the work for soundness of approach or may occasionally spot check for accuracy, but the details of the work are normally assumed to be accurate. The supervisor provides direction in policy issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or related field.
- Additional courses in advanced or managerial accounting would be beneficial and at least five years of experience in public utility accounting or public accounting, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA or CMA preferred. Supervisory experience required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting principles and practices, budgeting methods, insurance, taxes, banking and other financial matters. Working knowledge of all office procedures, equipment, administrative functions and general management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software, to include Excel, Word, and Outlook. Ability to proficiently manage a multi-application accounting and client database system, produce reports and analyze data. Considerable knowledge of general office procedures and use of office equipment.
- Knowledge of data processing, information systems and internal accounting controls.
- Ability to supervise others effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to deal with people in a professional and courteous manner even in conflict situations.
- Ability to organize work to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently under pressure;
- Ability to maintain a cooperative and helpful attitude toward fellow employees;
- Ability to promote a safe, positive and caring work environment;
- Ability to accept suggestions by your supervisor and co-workers to improve performance;
- Ability to accept and adapt to change; and to perform as a productive team member.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifting and carrying of 10 to 25 pounds frequently is required.
- Reaching and lifting overhead is occasionally required.
- Job requires occasional pushing and pulling and reaching frequently.
- May spend long periods of time sitting and working at a desk and in front of a computer monitor.
- Some exposure to odors, gases, dust and dirt, may occur.
- The noise level in the work environment is consistent with that of an office setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Rate of Pay: Rate of pay to be established by the General Manager.
- Wage and Hour: This position is an exempt, salaried position under the Wage and Hour Law and overtime compensation will not be paid.
Missoula Electric Cooperative is an equal opportunity provider and employer