You have high expectations for yourself and your career.
So does APS.
Imagine what we will achieve together.
You could have a powerful future with APS!
Arizona Public Service (APS) is leading the way toward an energy future that is cleaner, more reliable and sustainable. With $3.3 billion in annual revenue and nearly 7,000 employees, APS is the largest electric utility in Arizona, serving 1.1 million customers. We are the principal subsidiary of publicly traded Pinnacle West Capital Corporation (NYSE:PNW). Our generation fleet includes natural gas, nuclear, coal and growing renewable technologies.
Civil Engineer III/Sr - Four Corners Power Plant
Job # 20180148 • Farmington, NM
Four Corners Power Plant is looking for a Civil Engineer III/Sr who will independently provide technical engineering, design, economic and analytical support to participate in the development of long-range system plans and conducting of engineering RFP's, proposals and presentations. Share accountability with others to accomplish sales, retention, DSM, and other applicable goals. May be primary company contact and sales representative for assigned trade ally companies. Influence trade allies to design and install energy efficient electrical equipment to support marketing and sales goals. Perform professional engineering/marketing tasks, requiring skills and experience gained through application of engineering methods and analysis. Requires some supervision or guidance. Has increasing responsibility for technical decisions and interpretations. Provide limited technical guidance and leadership to others as needed. Ensure reliability and safe operations and propose economical solutions to be budgeted. Subject to shift work.
- Ensure engineering design, project control, schedule commitments, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations and adequate reliability will be maintained in future years.
- Enhance department performance and productivity and / or unit performance by formulating, coordinating and performing heat rate testing and then recommending improvements.
- Independently performs moderately complex engineering analyses, distribution planning and establishes baseline performance data on new and existing equipment.
- Maintain knowledge of integrated electrical systems, political climate, economic situation and technical trends and developments among customers & utilities in company marketing area. Using engineering and technical skills, develop inter utility agreements which dictate and define the operation of company electrical system. Maintain control of capital and O&M project costs within authorized budgets and assist in their timely implementation or installation. Maintain accurate and complete fuel and purchase power cost and usage information for official budgeting purposes and rate design work by performing detailed system simulation. Maintain the highest level of employee and public safety while adhering to Labor Agreement and Accident Prevention Manual.
- Assist in the development of the optimum schedule for future transmission additions by balancing technical, economics, environmental, reliability, regulatory and other factors. Assist Customer Account Reps in the sales process by assessing customer technology applications to achieve common goals. Assist in legal, licensing and other reporting requirements relating to future resource additions.
- Provide consulting services to advise/assistance internal and external customers on end use technologies, effective field support, leadership, training, support & technical assistance.
- Prepares technical reviews, analyses, investigations, verifications and designs. Prepares, presents and sells study results both in writing and orally to management, customers, and/or trade allies in a clear, concise and professional manner.
- Develop and implement strategies and concepts to ensure profitable that meet or exceed revenue goals and objectives in a highly competitive marketplace. Develop computer models of boilers, turbine cycles, etc., to evaluate performance and report the economic impact of equipment or unit performance. Develop and prepare profit center analyses for potential municipal takeovers. Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with customers/utilities in our marketing area and be the customers'/utilities first point of contact and main resource for all dealings with company.
- Analyze, prepare, negotiate and administer contracts for wholesale sales, joint participation, purchase and sale of resources/facilities/electric systems and others, all of which fall outside company established guidelines and procedures. Analyze and recommend pricing concepts which enhance company's' competitiveness and provide for better utilization of generation resources while maximizing revenues. Analyze equipment vibration problems and recommend corrective actions.
- Prevent catastrophic plant equipment failure, and minimize unit load curtailment by periodic vibration monitoring, vibration analysis, and balancing of rotating equipment.
- Participate in professional associations, governmental and private agencies and educational organizations to leverage their activities and network with trade allies.
- Experience working with earthen dams
Engineer III Minimum Requirements:
- Requires Bachelor's degree in Engineering (applicable engineering discipline specific to area of assignment)
- Plus five (5) years working experience
- OR 9 years equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional Engineer designation required for this position
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of energy analysis, engineering applications, business, and finance, working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices, and methods in the area of individual's discipline. EIT and Certified Energy Managers certificate preferred. Must have good understanding of construction, operating and engineering practices; safety rules; company policies and union agreements.
Engineer Sr Minimum Requirements:
- Requires Bachelors degree in Engineering (applicable engineering discipline specific to area of assignment)
- Plus eight (8) years engineering experience
- Or 12 years equivalent combination of technical education and experience.
- Professional Engineer designation required for this position
- (Fossil requirements; the latter is to be approved by a Technical Review Board).
- Must possess in depth knowledge of energy analysis, engineering applications, business, and finance, applicable codes, standards practices and methods in the area of assigned discipline. In-depth understanding of construction, operating and engineering practices safety rules company policies and union agreements.
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, "U.S. Export Control Laws"). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Candidates interested in this opportunity, please go to: www.aps.com/careers - search job # 20180148
Alternate Application Options:
These options are reserved for use by individuals with disabilities. Information received via these options will be routed to specialists who will provide appropriate assistance to these individuals to ensure that their data is entered into the APS online application. These specialists will not have access to existing profiles in the APS online application process and will not be able to provide any application status updates.
If you have a condition that hinders your ability to apply online, please choose one of the alternate options to submit your expression of interest in a position with APS: Call us at 602-250-2101
Mail Your Resume and Letter of Interest to:
Attn: Talent Acquisition
400 North 5th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004
AA/EO Employer by Choice:
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“Pinnacle West”) provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Visit our website today for more information!