Location(s): CO - Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Responsible to conduct professional investigations and to maintain site control for routine to complex major incidents, public claims, and ligation support where company facilities may be involved resulting in loss of life, personal injury and/or property damage. As subject matter expert, determine liability and negotiate settlements within assigned approval authority, with input from management and/or legal counsel, as directed or required. Provide training on risk mitigation policies and process to assigned business areas, as needed.
- Public and Company Claims and Settlement Payment - Determine liability and negotiate settlements within assigned approval authority, with input from management and/or legal counsel, as directed or required. Within a timely manner, ensure denial notification or payment is made to public claimants, and that payment is received for damage claims, and pursue delinquent damage claim accounts. Mediate between customer and company contractors, as needed. Provide guidance and expertise to legal counsel for payment or denial determinations, as needed.
- Major Incidents – As subject matter expert, conduct professional investigations of routine to complex major incidents. Control and investigate site where damage or incident occurred ensuring that all evidence is secured and on-site safety is assured. Maintain chain of custody of physical evidence. Perform research and complete documentation (e.g., incident reports) in accordance with guidelines. Obtain witness statements and communicate with regulatory officials and agencies (local, state and federal) to provide reports and obtain records, as needed. Under the direction of the Claims Manager, may conduct professional investigations for high profile major incidents and litigated matters. Due to that, the ability to be on-call 24/7 on a rotational basis is required.
- Litigation Support – For assigned cases, provide litigation support throughout the process including strategic planning, data gathering, and participation in mediations, settlement conferences, and court proceedings. Under the direction of legal counsel, ensure case facts are effectively investigated and communicated and that documentation and other evidence is collected and provided, as required. Ensure that case files are well developed and accurate. Collaborate with legal counsel on determination of appropriate reserve funding.
- Risk Mitigation - Provide specialized training to assigned business units to ensure that first responders are trained to take appropriate action when an incident occurs for which the company may have legal liability. May develop or participate in development of specialized training for first responders.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years combined utility gas/electric and/or investigation/claims work related experience.
- Completion of AClapp Investigating and Litigating Utility Accident training certification or equivalent (completed courses demonstrating knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code).
- Working knowledge of applicable federal and state utility laws/regulations (e.g., NESC, DOT, CFR192, state PUC, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with others and to respond in a professional, tactful, and courteous manner at all times regarding Claims Investigation matters.
- Proven skills in conflict resolution and negotiation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of computer based-systems (e.g., Riskmaster, REA, OMS, CRS, SAP, etc.) and Internet and Microsoft office applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Travel required (e.g., site investigations at PSCO and SPS.)
- Valid drivers license with good driving record and personal transportation
- Availability to be on-call 24/7 on a monthly rotational basis
- Position requires exposure to noise, dirt, odors, confined/restricted areas.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions (hot and cold condition)
- Ability to demonstrate teamwork and work with all levels of the organization.
- Post-secondary education
- Fire investigation certification (industry standard)
- Experience as a claims adjuster
- Gas operations experience
- Electric operations experience
- Prior investigation training
- Ability to work overnight and weekends if needed
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || General Counsel || 80050:Claims Services South || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 16722
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org