FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a diverse generating fleet with a total capacity of nearly 17,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The selected candidate will have the opportunity to be placed in Altoona, Easton, Erie, Johnstown, Lewistown,
Reading, Towanda or York.
This position is to provide field engineering services and technical support for the construction, testing and commissioning of substation equipment up to and including 500kV. Equipment includes power transformers, circuit breakers, CCVT’s, Cap Banks, SVC’s, associated relay protection and control equipment, and SCADA systems. Commissioning activities can be of either new or modifications to existing substations. This position includes a significant amount of time (75% or more) working outside of an office environment at various company and customer substation facilities and service centers. In addition to commissioning activities, there may be occasional technical support for regional substation activities in other operating companies.
- The primary responsibility is the safe, efficient and accurate commissioning of new transmission substation equipment prior to it being released to transmission operations.
- Development of check-out guides, review and approval of test results and isolation plans, and development of energization plans to minimize system risk.
- Communication across multi-disciplined teams to include electrical contractors, customers, FirstEnergy regional switchmen/technicians, transmission operations, design engineering, planning/protection and project management to ensure successful and timely project completion.
- Challenge project designs for correctness and reliability standards.
- Applying engineering skills and operational knowledge in the identification and resolution of technical problems while in the field.
- Providing limited field design services to correct minor design problems encountered during the implementation of substation capital projects.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon developing knowledge of potential hazards, industry regulations/requirements and company practices.
- Supporting the emergency plan through participation in assigned storm duties including hazard responding.
- Producing results that have a direct, positive impact on the company.
- Willingness to travel throughout the FirstEnergy system including occasional overnight stays when necessary.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited school required or be a professionally certified engineer (PE License) and have a Bachelor of Science Degree in a technical subject (Engineering Technology, Physics, etc.).
- Position level is commensurate with both education level, time with company and acquired expertise.
- Engineer III – Have a minimum of three years of experience. A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate Preferred.
- Engineer IV – Have a minimum of 5 years of engineering experience. A Professional Engineers (PE) License Preferred.
- Strong consideration will be given to those with previous experience in the design, maintenance or testing of substation equipment. Also, familiarity with the understanding, application, and communication of microprocessor based protection and control equipment is considered a plus.
- Experience with SEL products and software, Enoserve RTS and Doble testing also a plus.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to First Energy’s Safety Policies and the Accident Prevention Handbook
- Understanding of FirstEnergy’s Manual of Operations
- Ability to participate in afterhours (e.g. evening, weekend and holidays) callouts to provide onsite technical and operational guidance in support of system emergencies
- Ability to work extended hours and handle multiple assignments
- Ability to lead by example
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- A willingness to train and mentor technicians and other members of the technical engineering staff
- Developed analytical and technical abilities
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with employees at all levels of FirstEnergy Corp.
- Must be capable of driving projects and tasks to completion by working in the field with the regional substation physical work force.
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must live within a 45 minute commute of assigned work location
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team