POSITION: Compliance Engineer
EFFECTIVE DATE: 2019
REPORTS TO: Assistant General Counsel and Director of Compliance
COMPANY: Southwest Generation (SWG) – Denver, Colorado
This position is responsible for monitoring, developing and implementing North American Electric Reliability (NERC) standard policies and practices for a growing fleet of NERC-regulated electric power generation facilities. The Compliance Engineer assists the Assistant General Counsel and Director of Compliance in the coordination of all activities related to the Company’s compliance program for NERC, FERC, and other regulatory compliance requirements. This position is also responsible for consulting with all SWG facilities to provide technical guidance on the correct NERC procedure and responses to compliance concerns.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee compliance research, documentation, and administration for all NERC Reliability Standards (NRS), including both Operations & Planning (O&P) and Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) standards.
- Assist the Assistant General Counsel and Director of Compliance with implementing a premier culture and record of compliance with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards by maintaining a systematic organization-wide approach for identifying, assessing, and managing risks to achieve NRS compliance objectives.
- Facilitate the communication of NERC compliance requirements across the different departments of SWG.
- Identify and resolve problems and provide technical and administrative support for developing a pro-compliance environment throughout SWG.
- Monitor and oversee reporting and data submittal requirements to ensure that the responses required to support compliance are submitted within the required deadlines.
- Interpret, guide, and assist with development or revisions of procedures, policies, protocols, or operating guidelines to maintain compliance.
- Assist all divisions with compliance challenges in order to avoid possible violations and financial liability.
- Scope technical projects and lead vendor selection process for requirements related to new standards implementation efforts across the fleet.
- Collaborate with the SWG Information Technology department to develop and maintain an ongoing CIP compliance program that meets or exceeds the NRS CIP requirements.
- Assist in preparing facilities for audits by regulatory authorities. Assist with responses to requests for information (RFI) by regulatory authorities.
- Participate regularly in Regional Entity compliance workshops.
- Maintain the storage and organization of documentation and evidence required to demonstrate compliance and ensure that the retention of all documentation meets regulatory requirements.
- Assist with the review of new and changing NERC compliance regulations and legislation to determine the potential impact upon the company and develop the initial company position.
- Communicate all Regulatory Compliance and SharePoint information to both corporate and power plant employees.
- Conduct or coordinate internal audits of the compliance process, procedures, and documentation for NRS.
- Assist, monitor, and follow-up with Plant Managers regarding mitigation plans, self-reporting, and improvement measures resulting from internal auditing results.
- Train and oversee designated facility employees for delegated SharePoint administrative tasks.
- Assist the Business Development department with NRS and other regulatory compliance due diligence for potential acquisitions.
- Liaison and network as needed with auditors, compliance personnel, engineers, and other staff of the Regional Entities, NERC, FERC, and other industry stakeholders to ensure that SWG’s NRS compliance program always complies with all FERC and NERC regulations.
- Actively participate in Regional Entity and NERC standards development teams and other compliance related working groups where appropriate.
- Assist Plant Managers with the preparation and submittal of various other regulatory requirements, including but not limited to FERC EQR, NERC GADS, and DOE EIA reports.
- Work under limited supervision after initial training period.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity in all dealings with or on behalf of SWG at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Technical knowledge of the NERC Reliability Standards regulatory environment.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Team player as well as ability to work independently.
- Basic knowledge of the electric power industry.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Effective time management and organizational skills; able to balance multiple priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure with multiple competing deadlines
- Ability to interact and communicate well with individuals in all areas of the Company and outside vendors.
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to assist others within the organization as necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, information technology, business, or another related field.
- 3-5 years of general industrial operations experience required; experience specific to electric power generation or NERC CIP and O&P regulatory compliance oversight preferred.
- Experience with SharePoint software system preferred.
- Experience with industrial controls systems/OT highly preferred.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- The job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and filing cabinets.
- 20-25% travel for regular participation in Regional Entity compliance workshops, plant visits, and due diligence for potential acquisitions.
- This position is located in SWG’s Denver, CO office.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.