Founded in 1990, LS Power is a developer, investor and operator of power generation, transmission and energy infrastructure assets in North America and operates with offices in several states including NY, NJ, CA, MO and TX. Since its inception, LS Power has invested over $39 billion to construct, acquire and operate such assets. LS Power employs an integrated, multi-disciplinary approach, with a team of over 200 people covering every area of expertise required to successfully execute in the sector. LS Power has developed and constructed more than 565 miles of transmission infrastructure and has additional projects in the construction and planning stages. The total projected capital cost of LS Power’s transmission projects in the operational, construction or planning stages is over $3 billion. As a developer, investor and operator in the energy sector, we possess a unique combination of industry-specific expertise, resources and relationships that enable us to arrive at creative solutions to the current and future needs of our customers and investors.
LS Power is seeking a Compliance Manager in support of the LS Power group of regulated Transmission-Only Utilities. This position reports to the Director Transmission Reliability Compliance and will assist in developing, implementing, guiding and managing an enterprise reliability compliance program for both NERC and each transmission Utility’s associated RTO/ISO, with support from subject matter experts, members of the compliance team, the Utility’s co-owners, and consultants as required. The Compliance Manager will work with each Utility’s team documenting compliance policies and procedures and maintaining associated evidence. The Compliance Manager will be responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable NERC standards and RTO/ISO requirements including Planning, Operations and Critical Infrastructure Protection standards for LS Power’s Transmission-Only Utilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist in the development and management of a corporate-wide compliance program across LS Power’s Transmission-Only Utility assets in numerous NERC Regions.
- Develop, control and manage regulatory and transmission policies and procedures, including reports and work logs used for compliance evidence.
- Work cross-functionally with key compliance personnel and business unit stakeholders including engineering, maintenance, operations, planning, IT/OT and more.
- Establish and maintain relationships with Key Stakeholders with NERC, Regional Entities and its RTO/ISO. Establish and maintain relationship with industry peers.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable NERC Reliability Standards, and NERC Rules of Procedure related to registration, certification, and compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable RTO/ISO business practice requirements
- Monitor compliance status through self-assessment, monitoring and reporting.
- Manage regulatory compliance procedure updates and departmental reviews as requested.
- Manage, guide and oversee internal and external audits, mock audits, and self-certifications.
- Develop compliance reporting metrics and measureable performance targets.
- Assist in the development of training materials in various aspects of the compliance program.
- Prepare filings, policies, procedures and other documentation in support of the compliance functions.
- Monitor costs associated with compliance and manage a compliance budget.
- Attend RTO and Regional NERC meetings, participate in committee meetings, and attend national and regional conferences.
- Manage any self-report and violation mitigation efforts in a swift and effective manner.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Job Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor and/or Masters of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, Business, or other relevant degree preferred.
- The Compliance Manager should have a strong knowledge of applicable NERC standards applicable to Transmission Planner, Transmission Owner, and Transmission Operator registrations. Minimum of 3 years direct experience in a similar role.
- Position requires strong competencies in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook). Previous experience with compliance, work management, budgeting and/or accounting software is a plus.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge with NERC compliance in utility operations will be an advantage.
- Experience with one or more of the following RTO/ISOs: PJM, MISO, NYISO, CAISO or ERCOT would be beneficial.
- Experience and/or knowledge with one or more of the following Regional Entities: RF, NPCC, WECC or TRE would be ideal.
- Previous experience or knowledge of an Internal Controls Framework.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to set priorities, follow-through, and respond to changes in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to multitask and effectively manage time and meet deadlines.
- Strong negotiation, persuasion, and listening skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate with a diverse audience across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures involving complex and technical information.
- Ability to respond to issues outside of normal working hours and flexibility to travel as required.