Location: Carmel, Indiana
MISO ensures reliable operation of, and equal access to, high-voltage power lines in 15 U.S. states and the Canadian province of Manitoba. MISO manages one of the world’s largest energy markets, with more than $25.3 billion in annual gross market energy transactions. MISO was approved as the nation’s first regional transmission organization in 2001. The not-for-profit organization is governed by an independent board of directors and is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana.
Provide leadership, guidance, and direction to assist MISO with meeting the annual SSAE 18 SOC 1 and Type II review. Support implementation and enhancement of processes and procedures, assess operational events for compliance implications. Work with management and subject matter experts with assessing compliance issues with existing processes and potential compliance risks with proposed operational changes. Design, implement, and manage programs, policies, and practices to ensure compliance with SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives. Demonstrate facilitation skills, problem solving skills, and customer service mind-set to help improve performance.
- Interact with internal stakeholders to ensure that services performed by the division are compliant with applicable SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop, document and improve their processes, procedures and controls to maintain compliance.
- Evaluate operating events and assess operational performance and compliance with applicable SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives.
- Identify and coordinate the development of cross departmental and divisional processes and procedures to enable continuous auditable compliance with applicable SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives.
- Develop and implement compliance performance metrics.
- Apply expert knowledge in support of audit readiness activities and external auditor inquiries.
- Support and serve on internal and external committees, task forces, and working groups.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external stakeholders on compliance activities and issues.
- Evaluate, communicate, and lead business cases for new services that enhance and support MISO’s business and increase effectiveness.
- Coach, mentor, and teach team members in areas of technical expertise.
- Provide innovative solutions to the most difficult problems and apply expert knowledge in the area of specialty.
- Ensures management and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) have a complete understanding of the process, circumstances, and risk involved with SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives for their area.
- Identify and communicate compliance issues raised, offer recommended solutions relevant to business and risk.
- Assess effectiveness of controls and processes to meet business and SSAE 18 SOC 1 Type II objectives.
- Discuss design and operational effectiveness of controls with SMEs.
- Identify latent organizational weaknesses and human performance error traps embedded in existing processes.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal skills to effectively communicate with customers and stakeholders.
- Demonstrate effective facilitation skills to guide decision-making or consensus.
- Ability to make timely recommendations to effectively solve problems, using independent judgment consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations, and/or law.
- Maintains awareness of other departments in the company with risk, control, and governance responsibilities and demonstrate ability to successfully perform tactical collaboration and information sharing.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other departments in the company that share risk, control, and governance responsibilities to ensure that information is appropriately shared and action is taken by the appropriate parties.
- Continuously utilize strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professionally exercise discretion and independent judgment in day-to-day work.
- Compliance with all processes, procedures, and standards applicable to the position including (but not limited to): SSAE 186 SOC 1 (Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements No. 16 Service Organization Controls 1) , CIP (Critical Infrastructure Protection), Change Management, Tariff (Open Access Transmission, Energy and Operating Reserve Markets Tariff), FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and NAESB (North American Energy Standards Board)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field (or relevant experience of 8 years)
- Master’s degree in Business Administration (preferred)
- Internal/external audit experience (preferred)
- Prior knowledge of NERC, FERC, NAESB, and Regional reliability standards (preferred)
- Energy industry (preferred)
Appropriate level will be determined based upon experience and knowledge
- Ability to apply audit standards (i.e. AICPA Standards) through practical application
- Solid understanding of Internal Controls testing procedures and ability to apply risk and internal control concepts, assertions, objectives, etc.
- Possess an appropriate combination of technical expertise in fields such as auditing, finance, technology, operations, or investigations
- Good awareness of other departments in the company with risk, control, and governance responsibilities and what is necessary for successful tactical collaboration and information sharing
- Ability to observe and understand business processes
- Ability to identify underlying cause of issues raised
- Ability to recognize when learned theoretical concepts should be applied
MISO - YouTube