Distribution Electrician III
Job Requisition Number
Electric Service Delivery (115)
Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years Experience in a field related to the job
- Thirty semester hours of college credit in power technology, electronics, communications technology, industrial technology or related field may substitute for one year of the general required experience with a maximum substitution of one year.
Valid Texas Class A Commercial Drivers License or ability to acquire license and/or endorsements
within 90 days of employment. •
Ability to produce and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Notes to Applicants
This position will work in our Troubleshooters area, all Distribution Electrician III are classified as Essential.
The DE III position under Austin Energy will require a commitment to serve the public, ensures that actions meet public needs; aligns organizational objectives and practices with public interests.
This position requires a self-starter, solid work ethic, punctuality, peer to peer relationships, and conflict resolution.
This position falls under Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy.
The top candidate will be required to complete all pre-employment requirements.
1. Drug test results must result in a negative outcome in order to progress further in the hiring process.
(Random drug testing is required for this position after the date of hire)
2. A Criminal Background Check will be required for the Top Candidate. A successful CBI result will be required.
Requirements of the Position:
This position requires to work outside of scheduled work hours, must be available to work days and nights, weekends, and/or holidays 24/7-365.
This position follows the On-Call Policy for Austin Energy.
This position requires working outside in extreme weather conditions to include: cold, hot, wet, heavy winds, etc.
This position requires climbing utility poles up to 100 feet in full arrest gear.
This position requires bending, lifting, walking, carrying, and using a force equal to lifting fifty (50) pounds.
The top candidate(s) must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation once a conditional offer has been extended.
The essential functions are required for the position of the Distribution Electrician III as listed below.
Essential Functions for the Distribution Electrician III per Day:
Constant 67% – 100%
Standing, walking (short distance) Walking (uneven graded surfaces) Lying / Side Lying
Climbing (stairs) Climbing Utility Poles, Reaching –Forward, Reaching –Overhead, Kneeling, Crawling,
Bending/Twisting, Squatting –Crouching, Balancing, Repetitive Movement (arm) Repetitive Controls (hand)
Material Handling requires 50 lbs. maximum weight for lifting, carrying, pulling and/or pushing at constant levels throughout the day.
Hand Functions require fine control dexterity and forceful gripping for both right and left hands.
Must wear personal protective wear, work in extreme temperatures, and drive heavy equipment.
Mental functions: Attentive and focused 100%; Attention to detail 100%; Safety and risk conscientious 100%. Required to work under severe life-threatening conditions.
Licenses Required: Commercial Driver’s License or ability to acquire license and/or endorsements within 90 days of employment.
Resumes will not be submitted for this posting.
To be considered, all relevant employment information must be included in your on-line application.
Describe your specific experience for each position.
You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application only.
Note: Assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
Note: Written and/or Field assessments, evaluations may be administered before and during employment.
$30.99 – $40.23
Regular Work Schedule:
Troubleshooter Rotating Shift
Days- 5:00am – 5:00pm
Nights- 5:00pm – 5:00am
This position is considered Essential
This position may rotate and work in Maintenance- Regular Shift :
Monday-Friday 7am – 3:30pm
May be required to come in before 7:00am or work later than 3:30pm when working Maintenance as it pertains to city business.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
System control center
- Experience and skilled in “Hot Work” both rubber gloving and hotsticking 7200KV
- Experience and skilled in troubleshooting Overhead and Underground distribution trouble calls including complex voltage problems
- Experience and skilled in construction, operation, and troubleshooting of voltage regulators, reclosers, capacitors,and sectionalizers
- Functional Knowledge and related experience working with Smart Grid equipment including remote controlled switches and gear
- Experience and skilled in circuit switching and load balancing of distribution circuits
- Journeyman License from Accredited apprentice program or certificate from an electric utility
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Respond to trouble calls. Check equipment on truck for proper operation and inventory. Drive vehicles as needed. Record data on appropriate documentation.
- Connect electrical service for residential and commercial customers. Connect wires to fixtures, equipment, generators, motors, etc.
- Install power pole hardware and equipment e.g. transformers, switches, fuses, insulators, etc. Install wire, conduit, coaxial cable, conductors. Install protective relays electric meter boxes and meters. Install and operate switching equipment.
- Climb electric utility structures and towers. Install mast arms with street light fixtures on power poles.
- Splice electrical power cable i.e. cut lead sheath, twist wires, insulate wires, fit lead sheet and waterproof, etc. Repair and move high voltage wires.
- Set-up, operate hydraulic, aerial crane and boom truck.
- Operate tension wire equipment. various power saws, i.e. radial arm, skill, drills, buffers, grinders, sanders, etc
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, tools and equipment in testing electrical and electronic metering devices.
- Knowledge of installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical equipment, apparatus, and instruments.
- Knowledge of the laws, theories, rules and standards pertaining to electrical construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the hazards involved in working around energized lines and equipment involving high and low voltage.
- Knowledge of electronic schematics and blueprints sufficient to interpret and modify design as needed.
- Knowledge of electrical circuits and switching.
- Knowledge of all types of transformer connections and procedures transformer banks.
- Knowledge of basic leadership principles.
- Knowledge of process and procedures of transformer connections and phasing transformers.
- Knowledge of theory, methods, procedures, tools, equipment, and methods used in the maintenance and repair of electrical substations and utility distribution systems.
- Skill in leading technicians performing maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Skill in estimating time, material and labor for jobs assigned.
- Skill in use of tools and test equipment required to various meters.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other city employees and the general public.
- Skill in use of tools and equipment to troubleshoot and repair of preventative maintenance instruments.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, and preparing electric and electronic diagrams and instruments.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment used in the installation and repair of electric meters.
- Skill in disassembling and repairing meters in the field using hand tools.
- Skill in responding quickly in emergency situations.
- Skill in power line electrician's tools and equipment in performing all phases of line construction, operation and maintenance work.
- Skill in climbing and working on high poles in a confined area among high voltage energized lines.
- Skill in drawing schematics of control circuits.
- Skill in implementing effective safety and training programs.
- Skill in use of tools and equipment used in utility downtown network, commercial service and residential service.
- Skill in tapping, splicing cable.
- Ability to performing strenuous work under emergency and all weather conditions.
- Ability to work in confined areas.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.