CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE FOR:
Recent College Graduates with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Math
Available in Pepco Holdings Operations Control Centers!!
Follow established practices, policies, procedures and programs to monitor and operate the electric distribution system in a safe, reliable and efficient manner with the welfare of employees, customers, the public and shareholders in mind.
Follow established operating practices and procedures as they relate to customer restoration, switching and operating for scheduled and emergent work. Manage real-time system alarm status and loading conditions. Perform system restoration during storms and emergency events.
Perform the work of receiving, recording, routing, dispatching customer calls, information, orders, and emergency calls. Serve as the tagging authority by leading and directing the application of the safety tagging procedures. Execute line clearance orders by confirming and directing the placement of tags. Lead, direct and train associates in restoring customers and safely clearing and restoring equipment.
Control and operate the electric distribution system. Respond to all electrical service interruptions involving distribution equipment. Respond to electrical service interruptions up to and including Power Quality, Part Out and All Out categories at secondary voltages from 120/240V single phase up to 69 kV three-phase incoming substation circuit breakers and lines. Perform electrical switching on a planned, emergent and emergency basis on the electric distribution system.
Maintain voltages and equipment loadings within acceptable limits.
Maintain and apply a working knowledge of the Exelon Management Model or equal for business controls and meet management's expectation for conducting effective business.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
* Follow established policies, procedures and guidelines on distribution system operations. Maintain the system integrity, reliability and security of the distribution system in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
* Gather and analyze system data to determine the feasibility of switching requests. Verify the safe and efficient operation of the electrical system.
* Compile switching routines within system loading and system configuration parameters and provide guidelines to ensure proper clearance for switching requests. Develop and provide emergency switching plans based on last contingencies
* Direct and supervise all electrical switching, placement of safety tags and testing activities on the system in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
* Notify and direct appropriate personnel including but not limited to Operating, Construction, and Contractor Personnel, as may be needed to take the necessary actions associated with outages, equipment failure, emergencies and various events on the distribution system.
* Maintain, line and equipment loadings within acceptable limits
* Keep supervisors informed of abnormal system conditions, major customer outages and equipment related problems both verbally and by updating appropriate software systems.
* Maintain current system status information on SCADA displays, operating maps and switching routines. Interface with mapping and monitor the accuracy of new maps issued for project diagram and other related work.
* Maintain operating log in appropriate software, interruption reports and associated records to accurately record system status and sequence of events.
Position requires non standard work and work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
A minimum of one year experience as a Distribution System Dispatcher I
BS in Engineering or technical field and a minimum of 2 years of engineering job experience
Associates in technical field AND a minimum of 4 years technical job experience
High school diploma AND a minimum of 6 years of experience in electrical construction and maintenance
* Thorough understanding of the EED gas and electric distribution systems, the ability to recognize system configuration, loading, and pressure issues, ability to formulate contingency plans and thorough knowledge and understanding of proper operating procedures obtained through successful completion of formal OCC training
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Demonstrated analytical skills and judgment.
* Demonstrated ability to respond to emergencies and manage stressful situations.
* Ability to work shift work.
* Ability and willingness to travel to various Company and off site locations.
* Ability and willingness to successfully complete System Operator training within the required time period.
* Must possess a valid driver's license.
* Must successfully pass qualification tests.
* Must successfully pass Criminal Records History Check.
* This position is a NERC Regulated position. As such, a background check will be conducted on the incumbent every seven years. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to complete annual NERC compliance training.
Candidate must receive a "Recommended" result on the System Operator / Power Dispatch (SOPD) test to be eligible for consideration
Bachelor's Degree Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
Associates Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
Minimum 2 years of job experience in the electrical field
Pepco Holdings, an Exelon Company, is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Never Miss an Update - Follow us on Twitter @PHICareers