The City of Dover, (Dover, Delaware) is currently recruiting for the position of Electric Department Director. The essential function of the position within the organization is to oversee and direct the city’s Electric Department. The Electric Department is comprised of Electric Transmission & Distribution, Electric Engineering Operations, and Administration, and oversees Power Generation/Procurement Contracts. This position is a member of the leadership team of the city and reports directly to the City Manager.
- This position assumes management responsibility of the Electric Utility functions, plans and directs the operation and maintenance of electrical transmission and distribution service and oversees the operation of the electrical substations.
- This position is responsible for the supervision and coordination of staff and staff leadership, (approximately forty (40) employees) to effectively manage the overall department operations. In addition, this role is responsible for establishing short term and long range plans, developing policy, creating and implementing preventative maintenance procedures, managing department activities and events.
- This position is responsible for management and oversight of the 3rd party operator and environmental compliance at the city’s two power generation stations.
- Oversees Electric Division business management operations such as developing departmental budgets, monitoring expenditures and conducting special studies, Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), correspondence and records, reviewing contracts and invoices, tracking and reporting.
- Develops and implements department goals, objectives, policy and procedures according to regulatory requirements.
- Advises and consults with elected and appointed officials, commissions, federal or state regulatory agencies (FERC/NERC and other constituency groups)
- Communicates Electric Department issues to proper agencies, groups, city officials and others as appropriate.
- Represents the city on regional and local boards or committees and at meetings concerning utility matters.
- Makes presentations to elected or appointed officials, department heads and staff, and other public or private agencies or groups on significant utility issues or programs.
- Responsible for people management and supervision of staff including workforce planning and metrics, hiring, onboarding, on-the-job new hire training and development, goal setting and monitoring, performance management, improvement and separation protocol, and ongoing training and development of existing employees.
- Establishes consistent and documented work-flow processes to create efficiency and optimization; creates and utilizes metrics and tracking for reporting and communication purposes.
- Responsible for safety processes and protocols
Posting Date: TBD Posting Number: TBD
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Electrical Engineering, similar technical field. • The position requires a minimum of 10 years of related experience in electric utility management, including leadership experience.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Master’s degree in public or business administration, engineering, or a closely related field.
- PE registration or other equivalent certifications
- Project Management (PMI) or LEAN process certification
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles, practices and procedure of utility operations, maintenance and administration
- Business Management practices, including expenditure measures
- Strong people leadership
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal, listening)
- Culture creation and management
- Ability to organize, prioritize, monitor and evaluate work efficiency and accuracy completion
- Listening, problem-solving and decision making ability
- Strong collaboration with all levels internal and external to the organization
- Standards and process oriented with strong implementation and follow-up skills
A successful criminal background investigation will be required.
COMPENSATION The City of Dover offers a total compensation package – which includes health insurance and 401a/457 deferred compensation plans.