MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Valid Driver’s License. Must meet City’s insurability requirements
- High School diploma/GED equivalent
- Journeyman/Lineman certification or BSEE
- Ten (10) years experience in electric utility
- Five (5) years supervising qualified electrical line workers
- Five (5) years in distribution engineering and operations; or distribution construction
Plans for future growth and productivity of the Electric Department. Ensures that all electric meters measure accurately to allow for billing of customers, provide needed assistance and direction to crew supervisors. Implement an annual budget, project equipment needs, and promoting safety and customer satisfaction.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Supervises the day-to-day operation of the Electric Department under the direction of the Joint Utilities Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Electric Utility Director, the Electric Superintendent plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs field staff and activities related to the reliable and economic operation, maintenance, and construction of transmission circuits, distribution circuits, and electrical substations.
- Assists the Electric Utility Director with the determination of system needs and in planning modifications or additions to electric facilities and in developing and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the electric department.
- Plans and directs a wide variety of operations, maintenance and repair activities assisting the Utility Director and Engineering staff with the long and short range planning.
- Participates in preparation of the annual department operating budget.
- Selects, supervises, reviews, and evaluates the work of staff; provides for training in work procedures; ensuring that safe work practices are followed.
- Ensures compliance to all applicable Federal, State, and local regulations, as well as generally accepted best practices of electric utility industry.
- Responsible for maintenance inspections and maintenance records and/or files.
- Prepare routine and special reports related to the work of field personnel.
- Reviews and approves planned and emergency switch logs and/or programs for all city-owned high voltage facilities.
- Provides administrative coordination for large customer outages or during multiple coincident power outages.
- Instructs and mentors field personnel in all related work methods and procedures, emphasizing and adhering to safe work practices.
- Oversees the performance of required inspections on City-owned electrical distribution and substation facilities.
- Oversees and ensures the maintenance of department vehicles, tools, equipment and work sites in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs other duties as related to the electric department as assigned.