Energy Market Analyst
Job Requisition Number
Power Supply & Market Ops
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university,plus three (3) years of experience in a related field.
Master’s degree with major course work in a field related to the job may substitute for experience up to one (1) year.
PhD. with major course work in a field related to the job may substitute for experience up to two (2) years.Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
$38.60 – $51.01
Mon. - Fri.
8:00AM – 5:00PM
Additional hours might be needed based on project.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
721 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
1. Master/PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering.
2. Experience and understanding of the ERCOT Nodal Market or other nodal power markets including Day Ahead and Real Time Market Operations as well as nodal market shadow settlement.
3. Working experience and proficiency with software development using Java programming language.
4. Experience with Oracle database design, SQL development, and database administrations.
5. Ability to work on call on a 24×7 rotating basis to support real-time computer applications.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Projects short and long-term electric energy and fuel requirements.
- Assists with forecasting daily wholesale power and fuel prices and market trends. Optimizes power and fuel purchases among multiple supply and transportation options.
- Allocates wholesale power and fuel purchases in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Assists with daily, monthly and other purchases of wholesale power and fuel; the execution of energy risk management transactions, the planning and designing of energy risk management strategies: wholesale power and fuel contracts and agreements.
- Nominates and schedules daily wholesale power and natural gas purchase and transportation volumes.
- Monitors daily natural gas consumption and re-nominates as needed. Monitors and controls natural gas transportation imbalance accounts.
- Performs Qualified Scheduling Entity (QSE) bidding and scheduling functions. Monitors Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) transmission congestion and determines impacts to Austin Energy (AE) energy schedules.
- Issues generating unit dispatch and commitment orders to the power plants. Monitors and coordinates generating unit status and performance among affected parties.
- Supports ERCOT market design and development process.
- Analyzes monthly wholesale power and fuel purchases, sales, and risk activity reports.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of AE’s wholesale fuel and energy requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of federal, state, local laws, and ordinances governing fuel and energy markets.
- Skill in purchasing and selling wholesale power and fuel.
- Skill in communicating effectively both orally and in writing to convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in analyzing detail and complex data to make sound decisions.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a demanding and face pace environment.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to cross train in related areas.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.