Supports business objectives through the following specialty area: Substation Design Engineering
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as lead engineer on design projects by checking designs submitted by contractors, issuing the project for construction when approved and participating in the creation of conceptual designs and layouts.
- Independently creates designs for substation installations, protective relaying systems, relay settings and SCADA systems
- Reviews and approves designs created by other Engineers and Associate Engineers
- Prepares cost estimates, material requisitions, specifications and drawings for internally designed projects.
- Responds to inquiries from Planning or other departments related to existing or future substation projects in the ITCT or METC footprints.
- Participates on a work team of Transmission Line and/or Substation Design Engineers.
- Participates in work group policy development, policy implementation, negotiation and resolution of issues.
- Collaborates with other engineers and departments which may include consulting, managing projects, organizing resources or maintenance.
- Provides technical support and recommendations to field personnel and contractors in the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of system components.
- Provides expertise for projects and committees regarding technical and non-technical matters related to design engineering.
- Generates internal and external reports on various facets of transmission system.
- Attends meetings and training sessions to increase professional knowledge and skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Knowledge of electric utility system operations, planning, protection, design, construction and/or maintenance functions preferred.
- Power system coursework preferred for electrical engineering majors.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Ability to learn and utilize job specific software.
- Possess sound analytical problem-solving and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Ability to multi-task and work under minimal supervision in a team environment.