Engineering Services Safety Manager
The Engineering Services Safety Manager is on the front line of SEL’s world class customer relations, demonstrating our commitment to safe work practice through the expertise of our workforce and positive, professional responses to their specific needs and desires in the Transmission and Distribution work environment.
SEL’s corporate office is located in Eastern Washington where you'll enjoy an unmatched quality of life. Enjoy the smaller town life: country space, freedom from traffic, easy access to recreational activities in nearby mountains, rivers, and forests, as well as great schools and universities.
- Develop, implement, and continuously refine SEL’s Engineering Services environmental, health, and safety (EHS) systems and programs to comply with international, federal, state, and local regulations and SEL requirements.
- Manage active hazard control and accident prevention programs. Prepare, review, and submit reports identifying root causes and recommend corrective actions.
- Develop and implement training programs designed to promote a safe and healthy work environment, reduce environmental impacts, and meet or exceed OSHA, NESC, and NFPA 70E requirements.
- Assist project managers and field services engineers in conducting job safety assessments at customer locations. Respond to job related customer inquiries, questionnaires, surveys, requirements, issues, and any ES EHS incidents and accidents.
- Support and advise SEL’s Contracts and Risk Department with RFQs/RFPs, approved contractor status, contract negotiation efforts, and customer required documents and information for field service activities.
- Identify and proactively respond to new international and national EHS regulatory, legislative, customer, industry or other requirements and trends that apply to field service activities.
- Model, teach and apply SEL Values, Principles of Operations, and World Class Manufacturing Principles.
- Understand. Create. Simplify.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree in a related field, or A.S. degree in a related field
- 10+ years’ experience with electric utilities, related to commissioning of substations, managing electrical safety programs, or arc flash training
- 5+ years’ experience managing a utility safety program, with direct reports.
- Extensive knowledge of NFPA 70E and High Voltage System Isolation and Clearance best practices
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA, EPA and MSHA regulatory requirements
- Experience working in a construction environment
- Ability to travel 50 - 75%, including international travel
- Ability to communicate technical information to a variety of public and governmental audiences
- Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Negative drug test result(s)
- Instructing, coaching and mentoring experience
- One or more of the following certifications: CSP, ASP, OHST/CHST
- Mastery of OSHA, NFPA 70E and electrical safe work practices
- Ability to support engineering services-related field safety activities in challenging environments
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods, lift and carry up to 40 pounds. Occasionally climb ladders and extended stairways.
To Apply for This Position:
We ask all candidates to apply through our website at www.selinc.com/careers. If your qualifications and experience match any of our current openings, please submit your resume for that position so that you may be considered immediately.
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants considered regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender, veteran or disability status, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity, or other protected status.
An Award Winning Company
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets in many different industries, markets, and geographies around the world.