Provide the Company with the technical expertise necessary to plan, design, construct, and maintain the electric distribution system with a focus on distribution rebuilds and modification within the framework of established safety codes, governmental codes, and Company rules and regulations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs and coordinates upgrades, relocations, and replacements of Company electric distribution facilities within the framework of established safety codes, governmental codes such as Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSCW) requirements, Company rules and regulations, and Company construction standards.
- Actively participates in and supports the department's safety program by promoting a positive safety culture, participating in safety meetings, and including safety considerations in decision-making.
- Works closely with external MGE customers as well as numerous internal departments and stakeholders to achieve optimal efficiency, reliability, and customer satisfaction for both Company-driven and customer-initiated projects.
- Estimates make-ready work charges and designs billable job orders for other utilities to attach to MGE overhead and underground facilities.
- Coordinates the design and tracking of municipal streetlight systems served from Company distribution facilities.
- Maintains knowledge of applicable safety codes, governmental codes, Company rules and regulations, and Company construction standards.
- Performs clearance reviews, sag tensions, and pole analysis to maintain code clearance on Company facilities.
Education and Experience
- Associate's degree in power engineering or equivalent.
- Three to five years of related work experience in the electric utility field.
- Valid State of Wisconsin driver's license.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of electricity, utility electrical systems, basic engineering skills, and understanding of or the ability to understand the Company's electric distribution system.
- Able to maintain knowledge of appropriate safety codes such as the National Electric Safety Code, governmental codes such as PSCW requirements, Company rules and regulations, and Company construction standards.
- Good human relations skills for clear communication with customers, supervisors, and peers and Company-favorable relationships with trade ally representatives, external organizations, and other entities necessary for successful project completion.
- Able to read, understand, and interpret a wide variety of drawings, maps, and sketches.
- Good personal time-management skills and is able to plan, organize, and control multiple projects simultaneously. Able to adapt to changing construction schedules, customer requirements, and Company requirements.
- Familiar with a wide variety of mainframe and personal computing systems and software.
- Able to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervisory review.
- Able to complete Company training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, first aid, defensive driving, hazardous waste management, and environmental awareness.