PurposePerforms complex and highly responsible administrative support and scheduling duties related to the activities and operations of the SMUD Executive Office. This job class requires extensive staff, public, and organization contact requiring a high degree of tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, and independent judgment.
This is an advanced journey level classification reporting to the Manager, Executive Office or Chief Officer(s). Positions allocated to this level have an extensive range of administrative detail assignments due to the broad scope of operations in the area where assigned. Incumbents assume major responsibility for providing information about SMUD functions and policies while carrying out a wide variety of office administration, complex scheduling, and advanced administrative duties. *Cover letter required.
High school diploma or equivalent.Experience:
Three or more years in an administrative position supporting a senior leader and/or executive with progressively responsible professional administrative experience including coordinating and performing analytical and administrative processes, drafting and writing business correspondence and reports, planning and performing data compilation and reporting, coordinating processes with other staff and departments, personnel administration, and/or organizational evaluation and management. Knowledge Of:
- Principles and practices of administrative and/or technical area to which assigned
- Principles and practices of intermediate analytical research and project coordination
- Modern office equipment, methods, procedures, and computer hardware and software
- Techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
- Principles and methods of business letter and report writing
- Principles and practices of workplace safety
- Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, codes, ordinances, policies, rules and regulations
- General functions and objectives of municipal government
- Research methods and techniques
- Computer software, including word processing, data base, spreadsheet and accounting applications.
- Handle confidential information appropriately, identify sensitive issues and exercise diplomacy and tact
- Communicate effectively, tactfully and clearly in writing and verbally
- Perform a wide range of highly responsible and complex administrative support functions with speed and accuracy
- Conduct detailed and thorough research utilizing a variety resources
- Interpret and apply policies, procedures, standards and requirements
- Read and understand complex and/or technical data
- Compile and prepare technical, statistical, and/or analytical reports and presentations
- Analyze problems, situations or documents and make recommendations for resolution
- Interpret, clarify, understand, and analyze verbal/written information and ideas
- Work cooperatively with diverse personalities in a team-oriented environment
- Utilize applicable hardware, software and business office equipment
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides administrative, analytical, and technical support to assigned executive staff. Researches, drafts, and prepares various written materials including correspondence, memoranda, draft and final versions of departmental directives or procedures, and reports.
- Provides general administrative support by preparing and maintaining calendars, including the scheduling of appointments and meetings. Coordinates meeting room and material set-up, including audio-visual and catering requirements. Negotiates contracts for outside facilities.
- Prepares and ensures accuracy of departmental administrative and analytical information in presentation format to ensure that SMUD reporting is accurate and timely; prepares oral and written presentation materials to present business cases, results of studies, reports of department planning, budget status, and related reports.
- Plans, coordinates and prepares for Board Committee meetings. Ensures all Board Committee deadlines are met. Edits Board Committee packets for accuracy and includes relevant board policies and reports prior to distribution.
- Coordinates activities with, and serves as liaison to, the Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion department. Ensures completion of all documents, reviews and reports.
- Follows delegation of authority to approve various documents and processes on behalf of executives, including travel, events, and projects.
- Acts as liaison between the Executive team and staff, outside agencies, vendors, contractors, customers, and others. Screens telephone calls and mail, disseminates information from executives, handles complaints, initiates and tracks action items and, follows up on actions to be taken.
- Supports the overall achievement and completion of department projects; assists in planning, reviewing and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract.
- Provides back up to other Executive Assistants and Manager, Executive Office, when necessary.
- Performs other duties as required.