Location(s): MN - St Paul
Are you fit and ready to work hard at a challenging but rewarding job that doesn’t require you to sit behind a desk all day? Do you want to build a long-term career in a stable industry at a company that’s committed to treating you with respect, training you well and ensuring your safety? A field or skilled labor job at Xcel Energy could be the opportunity you’re looking for.
***NOTE: This position requires an assessment prior to interview consideration. We ask you to please carefully read the instructions below
We anticipate the need for one or more Gas System Assistant Controller(s) to be located at our Rice Street Service Center in St. Paul, Minnesota!
The Gas System Controller Assistant is an entry level position for the sole purpose of attaining section seniority, being trained and promoting to the Gas System Controller classification. The job duties included but are not limited to:
- Ensuring gas system reliability and safety through monitoring and controlling of pressures and flow rates on the Xcel Energy North gas distribution and transmission systems 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, under the direction of the Lead Gas System Controller.
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with other pipelines, utilities, Energy Supply, and all other gas departments.
- Generating and maintaining daily logs/reports and responding to alarm conditions by making needed system adjustments or directing needed maintenance actions by dispatching Company field personnel to correct facility problems or failures.
- Must understand and recognize Abnormal Operating Conditions for a wide variety of field equipment, and know what actions to take and contact the appropriate person or group to remediate.
- Estimating daily loads using weather forecasts and preparing load summary sheets. Monitoring the hourly and accumulated daily system loads on each system and determine in a timely manner when increased supply, curtailment and or peak shaving is necessary to stay within supply contracts.
- Complying with PHMSA rules regarding training, fatigue mitigation, and control room management.
-High School Diploma or GED.
-One year of college, vocational training, or equivalent is preferred.
-Must complete and pass pre-employment assessment.
-Must possess a valid driver’s license.
-Must be knowledgeable in the operation of complex process systems involving liquids and gases. Natural gas experience preferred.
-Must be proficient in computer skills including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, and SCADA.
-Must be able to effectively communicate with field personnel, customers, and management.
-Will assume the relief shift at time of employment and may be required to work rotating shifts.
-Must complete initial U.S. Department of Transportation Operator Qualifications and upon completion must sign the Gas System Controller posting.
-Will be subject to drug testing as required by the U.S. Department of -Transportation rules of governing natural gas system operators.
-Must promote to the Gas System Controller position within twelve (12) months of assuming the Gas System Controller Assistant position.
Steps in Xcel Energy’s hiring process
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - St Paul || MN - St Paul || United States (US) || Operations || 21260:Gas Control NSP || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 10681
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com