Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL - Energy North America is seeking a creative and collaborative leader with a vision for the future of the energy industry for our Energy Insights team in the Medford, MA office. The successful candidate will serve as Head of Section, responsible for strategic leadership of a local team, mentoring junior engineering and consulting staff, leading project work, contributing to business development and thought leadership and interfacing with key clients. This position is based in our Medford, MA office and will require some travel to client offices and sites, other office locations, and conferences, approximately 10 to 20% of the time.
Tasks May Include
- Staff management
- Responsible for the resource utilization of the section, including budgeting, resource allocation, and control activities within the framework of approved plans and budgets and DNV GL’s management system
- Regularly re-assess individuals’ competence level and actively support the competence and career development of employees
- Manage individual performance including goal-setting, coaching and dialogue, and evaluate/assess the performance of individuals
- Consistently administer internal policies, processes, and procedures (e.g., staff engagement surveys, performance management systems, Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) assessments)
- Leadership in business development
- Ensure timely bid decisions, development of high-quality proposals
- Play a lead role in business development efforts through bid decision-making, proposal development, and fostering positive relationship with existing and new clients
- Design research studies, including staffing and budget development
- Thought leadership
- Identify and lead the development of thought leadership and new client initiatives
- Develop, maintain and apply knowledge about current and emerging market issues including energy efficiency and demand response, non-wires alternatives, energy storage, electric vehicles, microgrids, distributed energy, grid resiliency, etc.
- Project sponsorship
- Ensure management of projects, internal staff, and subcontractor staff in accordance with DNV GL policies
- Provide oversight of project teams, ensuring effectively delivery throughout the project lifecycle
- Effectively mediate and resolve escalated issues between client and project team, or within the project team
- Ensure quality of the work according to relevant standards, including adherence to processes for verification of quality of the work
- Project leadership
- Oversee research projects, including client interaction, development of work plans and leadership of project teams
- Preparing reports and presentations for clients covering research methodology, findings and insightful recommendations
Note: Please submit a cover letter with your resume that details your specific knowledge in the area of energy efficiency and management as well as your strengths relative to the other requirements. (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or emphasis in a relevant discipline (HR/Personnel Management, Business, Statistics, Economics, Energy Policy, Engineering) preferred
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in energy efficiency or demand-side management program implementation or evaluation
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in an energy consulting environment
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing a team of employees
- Expertise in evaluation, measurement, and verification of energy efficiency and demand side measures preferred
- Proven ability to manage clients, staff, and tasks to quality, budget, and deadline targets
- Proven experience managing the financial and technical performance of a team
- Proven track record and accomplishments in leading business development efforts
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate and coach people in varying disciplines to achieve improved overall performance
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with diverse people – clients and co-workers
- Existing contacts within the northeast energy efficiency industry, in particular with utilities in New England and New York is a plus
- A positive, team-oriented attitude
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company and Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. Operating in more than 100 countries, our professionals are dedicated to helping customers in the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables and other industries to make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!