Job Information Job Title: HPC Development SpecialistGrade: 230
Org: High Performance Computing & Data Analytics
Work Location: Idaho Falls, ID (9x80 Schedule) Mission/Vision Statement Leading Nuclear Energy and Research Technology Mission: Discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure. Vision: INL will change the world's energy future and secure our critical infrastructure. Responsibilities
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is in need of a seasoned professional to join its High Performance Computing (HPC) & Data Analytics department as a HPC Development Specialist.
Key duties in this role include:
* Lead developing HPC scientific capabilities through university engagement with joint-appointees, interns and post-docs. * Educate and train INL users on HPC best practices. * Work with HPC leadership to understand mission requirements and develop strategies and direction for LDRD and HPC research. * Engage with domain experts across the lab and National University Consortium (NUC) and Idaho University Consortium (IUC) in modeling, simulation, visualization, and artificial intelligence.* Function as an effective interface between the HPC organization and other directorates.* Mentor and develop junior staff and interns.* Assist with designing, defining, installing, configuring, debugging, troubleshooting, optimizing, and maintaining HPC supercomputers and supporting infrastructure.
Specific duties include:
* Define system architecture and application configurations for HPC systems.* Research, install, configure, and maintain HPC system software and 3rd party HPC applications.* Research, install, configure, manage, and maintain cluster level software for queuing, allocations, and reporting.* Research and diagnose system operational problems quickly and effectively.* Coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems.* Port computer code and write system management software tools.* Support and maintain HPC system, software, and network security. * Define and document procedures and tasks.* Participate in a 24-hour, 7-day on-call support rotation and off-hours maintenance activities.* Perform system performance analysis and tuning and assist in developing key HPC metrics.* Provide user support, laboratory wide training, and outreach activities with the purpose of improving user effectiveness, increasing HPC adoption at INL, and maintaining the high reputation of HPC at INL and regionally.* Support and coordinate joint appointments, interns, and outreach activities with the purpose of building HPC and computational science skills.* Be familiar with data center design, cooling, power, and operations.* Coordinate with HPC staff for bi-annual HPC maintenance/outages.* Work effectively both independently and as a member of the team in computer science, scientific software engineering, and the client/server programming.* Take direction from other team members and peers, and also provide input in a constructive manner to others while maintaining a positive and professional relationship.
If you think you have the knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience requirements to be successful in this position, we encourage to apply! Requirements
Candidates for this position Be a citizen of the United States.Have a Bachelors degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 8 years related experience; or a Masters degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 6 years related experience; or a Doctorate degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 4 years experience.
Candidates for this position are preferred to:
- Have HPC research and teaching/mentoring experience in a college environment.
- Have HPC user consulting experience.
- Have experience and/or history of successful HPC proposal writing.
- Have experience with Artificial Intelligence (AI) or any of its derivatives.
Selective Service Requirements To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visas. For more information see www.sss.gov.Employee Job Functions Employee Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job position which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
Equipment - Typing/Keyboarding
Personnel Requirements - Ability to work more than 8 hours per day. Please Apply Before: January 18, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Environmental, Safety and Health Statement Must be familiar with, and comply with all relevant health and safety requirements. Must be knowledgeable of emergency action policies and procedures, methods for reporting/resolving work practices or conditions to available cognizant professionals.Other Information When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.INL Overview INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 4,300 scientists, researchers and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and develop technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security and environmental missions.
The Idaho Falls Area Idaho Falls is conveniently situated near many national treasures such as Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Jackson, WY, etc. For more information about the area, please visit www.visitidahofalls.com and www.visitidaho.org. Equal Employment Opportunity Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.