Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field plus two (2) years of human resources experience in the assigned area of specialization.
One (1) additional year of experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
This position reports to Austin Energy’s Employee Relations Supervisor, supporting Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Worker’s Compensation (WC) programs and facilitates requests for accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), for approximately 1700 employees.
The HR Specialist will implement and administer HR programs at Austin Energy (AE) to include FMLA, ADA, Worker’s Compensation (WC) and other programs.
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
Please list your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application.
The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., “see resume”). Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes. The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. When completing the City of Austin employment application, any gaps in employment must have an explanation and dates of unemployment. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship. The top candidate must be a citizen or legal resident of the United States, or hold a visa that allows you to work in the United States without being sponsored by an employer.Pay Range
Monday – Friday
8 A.M. – 5 P.M.
Occasional work outside of normal working hours as business needs change.
1) Experience in administering Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other leave programs.
2) Experience in administering Worker’s Compensation programs.
3) Experience using an automated payroll systems such as the City of Austin’s Banner system.
4) Experience in Records Management.Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Implements, administer, and evaluate human resources programs designed and provided by the City’s Human Resources Department.
2. Develops systems, processes and implementation programs for use within departments to assist in efficient management of human resources work flow in the area of specialization.
3. Develops human resources procedures and processes for the implementation of City or
Department human resources policies or strategies within the area of specialization.
5. Provides advice and counsel to management and other employee groups related to compliance with and the communication, interpretation, and implementation of City Personnel Policies and other relevant employment laws and regulations.
6. Assists in solving human resources problems within the area of specialization, monitoring implementation of agreed upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
7. Participates in human resources related decisions within the area of specialization.
8. Assists in the analysis of morale indicators such as but not limited to surveys, turnover, and grievances, and presents recommendations within the area of specialization for corrective action when needed.
9. Collaborates and participates on teams with human resources and other team members.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May be assigned team leader to special task forces or teams.
May provide direction and/or guidance to less experienced human resources personnel.
May provide training to managers and others on human resources issues within the area of specialization.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of assigned human resources area.
Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel activities.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computes and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to train others.
Ability to develop and maintain current knowledge in the assigned specialized Human Resources areas.
Ability to develop and maintain knowledge and skill in the use of computerized tools, databases, and communications techniques used in human resources.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.