Human Resources Supervisor
Job Requisition Number
General Manager's Office
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to job, plus five (5) years related human resource experience, one (1) year of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education up to a maximum of four (4) years substitution.
Licenses or Certifications:
Valid Texas Class C Drivers License
Notes to Applicants
The Human Resources (HR) Supervisor reports to the Austin Energy (AE) HR Manager and oversees AE’s HR Programs. Provides supervisory oversight to a team responsible for delivering:
- Timekeeping (Banner)
- Leave Programs
- Healthy Connections
- Award and Recognition
- Records Management
- Data Analytics & Reporting
- To be considered, all relevant employment information must be included in your online application. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Resumes are not part of the employment application process. Statements such as “see resume” will not be applicable.
- Be sure to include all your prior work history on your application. If selected, salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Include all your prior relevant work experience for each of your positions for it to be counted towards relevant experience.
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
Note: We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
Note: Assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
$29.25 – $37.96
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – 40 Hour Work Week
Additional work hours may be required to support the 24-hour Utility operations which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
721 Barton Springs Road
- Experience with Payroll/Timekeeping/Personnel Actions using systems such as Kronos, Banner or similar systems
- Experience with Leave and Disability programs such as FMLA, ADA, Leave of Absence, Donated Leave and Military Leave
- Records Management
- Experience with HRIS systems
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for human resource programs and activities.
2. Develops, implements, administers, and evaluates human resource processes for a variety of human resources projects and programs.
3. Participates in the preparation, monitoring, and implementation of the departmental budget, recommends and justifies capital expenditures.
4. Provides human resource advice, consultation, and problem solving to all areas of human resources.
5. Identifies personnel support needs through meetings, discussions, analysis, and review of information.
6. Assigns projects sets schedules, and monitors task completion for timeliness, accuracy, and effectiveness.
7. Investigates and responds to complaints from managers and employees, and makes recommendations.
8. Analyzes human resource problems, gathers and organizes data, prepares reports, and/or documents.
9. Participates in ongoing education as it relates to human resources, the operations of the city, and/or its departments.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of human resources and departmental processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of assigned human resources functional areas
- Knowledge of industry trends related to coaching, management and leadership development
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel and employment practices
- Knowledge of city practice, policy, procedure, statutes, and ordinances
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in using computers and related software applications
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving
- Skill in planning and organizing
- Ability to understanding key, cross-functional business issues to resolve issues through conflict management and coaching
- Ability to analyze human resource business needs
- Ability to develop short and long range plans
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities
- Ability to train others
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.