Brief Posting Description
Responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of substations. Accountable to a senior or foreman level technician for all assigned high voltage substation maintenance, training and operation functions. Maintains all components associated with the efficient operation of assigned substations, both energized and de-energized. Assists with the supervision and training of others in all types of construction and maintenance of electrical equipment in substations and in the maintenance of the substation yard. Carries out work order assignments, interprets prints, and prepares daily time sheets, material tickets, and field and inspection reports as required.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associates degree in Electronics Engineering Technology with advanced studies in industrial electrical, electro-mechanical controls, hydraulic, pneumatic device, and digital systems control logic, or equivalent training and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Possess a considerable degree of skill to perform work by following standard method of procedure.
- Be able to exercise judgment in frequently making decisions and regularly directing a group of workers.
- Have thorough knowledge of the practices used in the electric power industry.
- Be capable of applying artificial respiration and be able to render practical first aid.
- Four (4) years of practical experience and/or be able to demonstrate knowledge in maintenance of industrial electrical- electromechanical -electronic control equipment which must include:
- Three (3) years and/or the equivalent knowledge of practical experience in testing, calibrating and repairing protective relay devices and revenue meters;
- Experience or knowledge of electric power substation apparatus maintenance experience involving testing of power transformers, testing and repairing of power circuit breakers and electrical insulation system testing and repair.
- Must be capable of satisfactorily interpreting electrical schematic diagrams, wiring diagrams and control logic.
- Journey Level relay experience and or meter certificate required.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must reside within a 60-minute response time of the base location.
- Willingness to travel up to 75% of working time, including overnight travel.
- Have good health and physical abilities adequate for strenuous work.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess a CDL or have the ability to obtain one within 6 months of the date of hire.
- Must be able to demonstrate that he or she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Be willing and able to work extra and irregular hours as the utility needs may require, and willing to work under unusual or special working conditions; storms, extreme temperatures, winds, darkness, various terrain and other similar working conditions.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to stand and walk for long periods of time and occasionally stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and lift up to 50 lbs. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Incumbent must have finger dexterity, good vision, good color vision, good hearing, and ability to speak clearly, and handle intricate work.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to dust and exposed to electrical risks typical to working around high voltage substation equipment including both energized and de-energized equipment, and works around and operates various heavy equipment used for high voltage substation operations and maintenance.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colo., about 1,500 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply:
Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran