To install, maintain and troubleshoot instrumentation and control systems throughout the power plant. Responsible for performing work involving a high degree of complexity, including troubleshooting, repairing, overhauling, calibrating and maintaining components of plant instruments and control systems.
* Adheres to all established health and safety policies and procedures.
* Provides feedback to coworkers, contractors and visitors on both safe and at-risk practices.
* Supports the SGS Safety Strategic Plan and participates in safety improvement activities and efforts.
* Performs instrument and control work which requires a high degree of skill. This includes the locating and repairing of defects in control systems involving electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic units which controls level, pressure, temperature, and position and flow parameters.
* Performs instrument and controls work which requires a high degree of skill in the routine checks and calibrations of plant instrumentation as required by the preventative maintenance program.
* Must know how to properly use and operate all necessary measuring and test equipment.
* Must know how to properly use and operate all necessary hand and power tools.
* Communicates clearly all instrument related work to other Operation Department personnel.
* Writes instrument related procedures, using technical manuals, electrical drawings, vendor manuals and any other applicable information.
* Teaches classes on instrument related material, including but not limited to, calibration procedures, proper use of measuring and test equipment.
* Performs the necessary software, firmware and hardware repairs in order to maintain plant systems utilizing programmable logic controllers, personal computers and data loggers.
* Performs all work in lower classifications.
* Maintains equipment tools, instruments and work areas in a clean and orderly condition.
* Must operate company vehicles if assigned.
* Instructs and directs other employees assigned to assist in the work.
* Assists employees of equal classification.
* Understands and follows equipment and clearance procedures, safety practices applicable to the work.
* Performs all other duties as required when assigned.
While working in certain areas of the plant there is the potential for exposure to hazards typical of an industrial working environment. Must be able to follow established protective measures including, wearing required personal protective equipment (PPE). Must work in all locations of plant and grounds to complete work assignments. Must work hours other than normally scheduled hours or days and report to work when called. Conditions in the plant include extreme heat and noise levels, some lifting and climbing. Extremely dusty conditions, dangerous heights, chemical hazards and wet conditions. Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Must be able to climb ladders, stairs and scaffolds to great heights, sometimes exceeding 100 feet. Must be able to operate a fork truck. Must be able to be fitted and wear a negative pressure breathing apparatus. Must have the ability to lift heavy objects on occasion up to 50 lbs.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
An Associate Degree in Electronics Technology, including courses in physics, or the completion of a certified Apprentice I & C Training Program.
A minimum of five years’ experience as an Instrument & Control Technician on analog, pneumatic or digital control systems.
Must possess a working knowledge of process instrumentation and controls, which includes boilers, generators, turbines, pumps and scrubbers. Must be familiar with all plant safety policies and clearance procedures. Must be familiar with PLC’s and computers. Must be able to comprehend and seek resolutions to complicated problems. Must have the ability to understand and follow highly technical written and oral instructions. Must have the ability to read schematic and electronic drawings. Must have the ability to assume a high degree of job responsibility. Must be able to receiv e and transmit orders and instructions in a manner that will generate effective and efficient work performance by himself and associates.