IT Business Systems Analyst Sr (Automation Test Engineer)
Job Requisition Number
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus two (2) years of experience.
Experience may substitute for education for up to (4) years
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
When completing the City of Austin employment application: A detailed, complete employment application is required to evaluate your qualifications. If you are selected for the position, your starting salary will be based on your overall relevant experience that you included/submitted in your online employment application, not a resume or cover letter.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document.
- Describe your specific experience for each position.
- Complete all fields of the Employment Record, including job titles, duties and responsibilities, employment dates, and relevant professional certifications.
- Your resume will not substitute for your online employment application; statements such as “see resume” are not accepted.
- Use “N/A” for fields not applicable to your experience.
- Responses to Supplemental Questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
- Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted once the job posting closes.
- An assessment may be utilized during the hiring process.
$32.47 – $42.10
This position is expected to work Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., a 40 hour work week, and may be required to respond to scheduled/unplanned after-hours events and activities that include days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Town Lake Center, 721 Barton Springs Road, Austin TX 78704
Austin Energy(AE) seeks a highly skilled Automation Test Engineer with experience working with the Rational Suite of testing tools (Rational Functional Tester, Rational Performance Tester, Rational Robot) to fill the role of Senior Test Analyst in the IT Division of Business & Quality Management. This position is a member of the Service Validation & Testing (SVT) team, supporting IT’s Quality Assurance Program. The position requires excellent knowledge of different programming languages, object oriented design and analysis concepts, and the ability to solve problems in coding and testing. This position requires the ability to create Test Automation Frameworks consisting of functionality libraries while adhering to coding standards. Also, the selected candidate will be able to review system and functional requirements and extract information to use in preparing automated test plans and scripts.
This position will need a solid background in manual testing, creating and executing test plans, documenting test scripts from requirements, executing tests, and documenting variances for new, large, enterprise applications being deployed as well as existing enterprise applications being enhanced. The position requires working in a deadline-focused environment while balancing multiple projects and changing priorities providing support to various IT groups, project stakeholders and business groups.
- A degree in Computer Science with extensive experience using Java, C++, and Visual Basic.
- Seven years of experience working with Rational Functional Tester (RFT), specialized in writing code for testing applications and developing test automation frameworks.
- Seven years of experience working with Rational Performance Tester (RPT), specialized in System Architecture (SW, HW and Enterprise) and Web technologies. Broad IT knowledge of various systems and technologies such as CPU, memory, storage, network, firewalls, load balancers, application delivery controllers, switching/routing, front end presentation servers, application servers, database servers, and web services.
- Seven years experience working with the Atlassian suite of testing tools specifically (JIRA & Zephyr).
- Seven years experience supporting the business of an Electric Utility or Water Utility.
- Proven experience leading test automation status and results meetings.
- Experience working with all the following utility applications: CC&B, StormCenter, Service Now, Maximo, ADMS.
- Foundations level ITIL certification.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Partner with decision makers, system owners and end users to define business, financial and operations
requirements and systems goals2.
Lead requirements gathering sessions to elicit requirements, specifications, business processes and
recommendations related to potential IT solutions3.
Create more complex models, use cases, process flows, specifications, diagrams and charts to provide
direction to developers, designers, and vendors4.
Develop statement of work for use in requests for proposals5.
Evaluate compatibility and interoperability of commercial off-the-shelf or in-house technology systems6.
Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving
or further leveraging these systems 7.
Perform cost-benefit and return-on-investment analyses to aid in making IT business decisions8.
Conduct research on software and hardware products and technology services to justify recommendations
and to support purchasing efforts9.
Write and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas
in IT applications across the organization 10.
Coordinate and perform tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems, training and other
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of concepts and principles of application programming, database and system design including
Internet and network architectures•
Knowledge of legacy and web-based systems interfaces•
Knowledge of importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs and flow charts•
Knowledge of cost-benefit analysis and total cost of ownership modeling•
Skill in performing requirements development, process modeling, reporting and project management tools•
Skill in developing process models and data flow diagrams using industry-standard modeling techniques•
Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address
Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in
achieving organizational goals•
Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and
Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding•
Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems•
Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when
learning or teaching new concepts•
Ability to view the big picture •
Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies•
Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.