IT Project Manager
Job Requisition Number
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of experience in a related field. Experience may substitute for education for up to 4 years.Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Austin Energy (AE) seeks an IT Project Manager in the IT Project Management Office (PMO) to manage projects, resources, budgets, vendor and business relationships.
The position leads cross-departmental teams in delivering various types of IT projects for various business units such as IT, Finance, Electric Service Delivery, Customer Care, Customer Account Management, Customer Energy Solutions, Power Production, Energy and Market Operations etc.
Primary duties of the position:
- Ensure tightly-orchestrated, timely, and quality deliverables in accordance with IT, PMO division, business, City, regulatory, and compliance requirements
- Deliver integrated technology projects while focusing on people and business processes
- Evaluate ROI and recommend technology solutions
- Negotiate internal and external SOWs and SLAs
- Provide leadership in project management, aligning project management processes and objectives with IT and AE’s Strategic goals
- To be considered, all relevant employment information must be included in your online application. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Resumes are not part of the employment application process. Statements such as “see resume” will not be applicable.
- Be sure to include all your prior work history on your application. If selected, salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Include all your prior relevant work experience for each of your positions for it to be counted towards relevant experience.
- Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
Note: We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
Note: Assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
$32.84 – $42.63
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – 40 Hour Work Week
May occasionally work evenings, weekends or holidays. Hours may change based on business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Town Lake Center - 721 Barton Springs Rd. Austin TX 78704
- 4 years of experience managing Information Technology projects working with both technology and business customer teams
- Experience with vendor and contracts management, to include RFPs, SOWs, and SLAs
- Experience with budget/fiscal year planning
- Project Management Professional (PMP/PgMP) Certification
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Direct and manage information technology project development from beginning to end, submit proposals, and recommend subsequent budget, scope and schedule changes and/or contingency plans where necessary.
- Develop project scope, cost estimates, human resource requirements, work plans, time schedules, communication plans, and makes work assignments to meet project or program objectives.
- Write Request For Proposals for external services and manage contracts and vendor performance, deliverables, and payments.
- Develop information technology project plans and associated communications documents, identify and manage project dependencies and critical path, and track and report on project milestones and deliverables.
- Develop written business requirements and models.
- Participate in discussions of project management department goals and objectives with IT senior management, system owners and decision makers.
- Request the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals and where required, from other department managers and participate in the acquisition of required personnel within the City of Austin.
- Define the project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout the project life cycle.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to sponsor, team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion, and facilitate project management and project status review meetings.
- Develop successful transition, training plans and recognition for resources on the project team.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of project budget preparation
- Knowledge of information technology project management principles, concepts and practices
- Knowledge of system development lifecycle used for the development of new systems and enhancements to existing systems
- Knowledge of application programming, database and system design
- Knowledge of XML and data interfaces
- Knowledge of internet and network architecture
- Knowledge of operating principles and information systems hardware and software
- Skill in using project management software
- Skill in developing process models and data flow diagrams
- Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts
- Ability to develop written business requirements and models
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals
- Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability
- Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and influence others to achieve individual and collective goals
- Ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner that solve issues and stand the test of time
- Ability to recognize, plan, focus upon, and work toward what is most important or critical
- Ability to recognize strengths and areas for improvement in others and to provide opportunities, guidance, and encouragement to build skills and capacity
- Ability to recognize, manage, and resolve conflict efficiently and equitably
- Skill in facilitating meetings of diverse stakeholders
- Ability to see a broad view of an issue or challenge across typical organizational lines and beyond the present
- Ability to create, convey, and instill a unified vision and purpose
- Ability to see past the moment and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- Ability to navigate relationships involving complex, emotional, and/or value-based issues in order to influence and achieve positive results
- Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems
- Ability to view the big picture
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.