Job Summary -
- Performs the activities associated with electric power line construction and maintenance including clearing of right of way, digging holes, setting poles and anchors, framing poles, stringing conductors, hanging transformers, breakers, regulators, and other equipment; working energized conductors of all voltages, emergency maintenance and repair work on lines, switching structures, breakers, transformers, services, etc., as directed or required.
- Attends and participates in safety meetings; knows and follows safety rules and methods without exception and serves at least one term on review Safety Committee.
- Maintains constant vigilance for possible sources of power failure and remedies or reports them to the Working Foreman.
- Teaches Apprentice Line Person, Groundman/Equipment Operations (Line Helper), Hole Diggers, Tree Trimmers, etc., as directed.
- Prepares time reports, outage reports, job orders, connect orders, etc., according to established policies and procedures.
- Operates vehicles assigned to them in accordance with established policies and procedures, and in such a manner as to bring credit to the Cooperative.
- Keeps constantly informed of the direction of line feeds, with respect to source of power.
- Keeps familiar with, and is able to perform first aid, artificial respiration and pole top resuscitation.
- Directs line crews when assigned as Leadman or as directed.
- Operates radio equipment in accordance with FCC rules and regulations, and established policies and procedures.
- Receives communications and directives and orally confirms full understanding. Keeps the Working Foreman and Leadman fully informed of important information concerning the job and work equipment of the Cooperative.
- Keeps informed on all Cooperative policies and procedures.
- Keeps working space neat and orderly at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school education or equivalent.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with Consumer/Members, the general public and other employees.
- Individual must be certified and a graduate of a utility or union affiliated journeyman line person apprentice program or equivalent.
- Must be current and stay updated on OSHA 1910.269 standards.
- Must have extensive experience in distribution overhead and underground construction operation and maintenance, and outage restoration as a journey person.
- Must possess or obtain an Oregon Commercial Driver’s License Class A. (Subject to substance abuse testing.)
- Must pass the Cooperative's pre-employment required physical exam and drug testing.
- Must reside within 20 mile radius of reporting facility and available via telephone contact.
- Basic computer skills (word processing/spreadsheet).
- Qualifications include skill, knowledge, ability, problem solving and inter-personal relationship behavior.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to listen, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, and climb. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds.
Work Environment -
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and works at extreme heights. The employee is frequently exposed to moving objects, hazardous materials, extreme cold, heat and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to airborne particles or fumes or electric shock. The noise level can be very loud. While the employee has scheduled work hours, there is also scheduled standby where overtime is required, including call -outs during emergency situations.
Midstate Electric Cooperative is a not for profit company located in beautiful Central Oregon. We were incorporated in 1948 and has grown to serve approximately 19,000 members within 5,600 square miles and four counties.
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org