Journeyman Substation Operator
- Battle Creek, MI
- Jackson, MI
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Flint, MI
Company: Consumers Energy
Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
Under general supervision, performs tasks in the operation, maintenance and construction of metropolitan underground systems, electric substation, transmission lines, sub transmission lines and distribution lines and equipment and able to direct another lower rated employee in performing duties such as:
- Operating electric substations, transmission/sub transmission and distribution lines and equipment.
- Preparing switching orders, carrying out switching orders placing and removing protective tags, giving or taking clearance, and applying grounds.
- Performing switching operations necessary to restore service following interruptions such as replacing fuses, operating switches and operating circuit interrupting equipment and patrolling lines by vehicle during outages.
- Ability to work extended hours to support projects and restoration efforts.
- Ability to take on-call and work holidays and weekends as required.
- Performing tests on energized lines and equipment such as phase testing, testing for grounds and tong testing.
- Performing routine tests of equipment such as circuit breakers, circuit switches, voltage regulators, relay equipment and alarm circuits.
- Performing minor repairs and assisting in inspections and repair work as directed.
- Performing other similar related work.
- High school diploma / GED is required.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment assessment at our training facility.
- Must be a Journeyman Substation Operator including previously completing an employer-sponsored training program.
- Must have experience preparing switching orders, carrying out switching orders placing and removing protective tags, giving or taking clearance, and applying grounds.
- Individuals must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License within 89 days of hire.
This position will be filled at the level commensurate with the successful candidate's skills and experience.
This position is included under a collective bargaining agreement with the Utility Workers Union of America.
- Maintenance of Electric Distribution systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for all utility operations.
- Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects.
- Individual must possess the skills to lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment.
- Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company’s compliance standards.
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours per week with the majority of time spent in specific field locations.
- Travel is required to job sites.
- Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines or assist with storm restoration activities.
- Individual should be willing to participate in the on call rotation in case of potential storms.
- Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to help with storm restoration which may require overnight stays.
- Individuals must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) at time of hire OR the ability to obtain a CDL within 90 days of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to stand and walk for periods of up to and beyond eight hours in all kinds of weather; snow, mud, dirt water, ice, etc.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and move up to fifty pounds and occasionally lift and move up to seventy-five pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous hours during storm restoration efforts.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate. All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Nearest Major Market: Battle Creek
Nearest Secondary Market: Kalamazoo
Job Segment: Electrical, Facilities, Engineering, Operation