Line Inspector II
Performs high voltage line inspection work requiring technical expertise with contract administration functions and the District construction standards and work procedures. Coordinates construction and job site activities including those of contractors, outside agencies, other District work groups. Ensures job site safety.Major Duties & Responsibilities
1) Inspects high voltage distribution construction work for compliance with contract and local, state and federal laws.
2) Oversees and monitors the work of contractors performing distribution construction work.
3) Prepares progress payments and verifies quantities and progress of work performed/completed.
4) Verifies time and materials and resolves disputes with contractors.
5) Monitors and documents contract work for claim mitigation purposes.
6) Initiates contract change documents.
7) Performs construction reviews of design documents and provides estimates for field changes.
8) Prepares job site records and progress reports.
9) Ensures technical adequacy of construction methods and techniques.
10) Observe and approve contractor construction testing operations.
11) Document site as built conditions.
12) Ensures permit compliance.
13) Work as qualified electrical worker to access energized equipment, analyze schematic diagrams, blue lining wiring diagrams, schedule and apply for clearances, perform primary switching, etc.
14) Enforce job site safety and compliance with CAL-OSHA requirements.Minimum Qualifications
Principles and practices of the SMUDs construction standards and work procedures; CAL-OSHA laws and safety rules, standards and procedures relevant to line construction operations; line inspection methods and techniques as applied to contract administration; hazard identification; basic math; line construction methods, techniques and standards (G.O. 95 and 128); electrical theory/knowledge relative to line construction/phasing/grounding/line voltage/transformers; circuit labeling; materials/methods/equipment used in high/low voltage line construction/maintenance and repair; basic contract administration requirements related to line construction work; high voltage inspection methods.
Inspect line construction work for compliance to SMUD standards and contract requirements; apply proper safety procedures for high voltage conductors and equipment; read, interpret and follow written and oral instructions; effectively oversee and review the work of contractors performing line construction work; use independent judgment, take initiative, make sound decisions, and assume ownership and account- ability for issues, problems, projects, and assignments within SMUD general policy guidelines; interpret and apply policies, procedures, standards and requirements related to high voltage inspection and contract administration support; plan, organize, coordinate, and prioritize assigned tasks to meet timelines; utilize computer applications for electronic mail, scheduling, recordkeeping, word processing, spreadsheets and databases; work rotating shifts including weekends and holidays to facilitate workload; work in remote location and hazardous areas; use protective clothing and follow safety procedures; and, respond to emergency call out.
High school graduation or equivalent
2 or more years of recent Work on a line crew at a lineman/woman level and/or have been an Inspector I for at least one year.