This position reports to assigned Senior Technician and is responsible for the safe and efficient maintenance and operations of Midulla Generating Station in accordance with approved plant maintenance, operations, and environmental procedures. Maintenance Specialist I Mechanical is qualified via the mechanical qualification standard.
* Reports to and takes direction from the Operations and Maintenance Supervisor as assigned.
* Ensures safe, effective, and efficient maintenance of the plant during assigned shifts. Complies with safety rules & procedures; uses safe work practices and behaviors. Report all safety concerns.
* Complies with Environmental, Health & Safety Guidelines, and all operating permits and regulations.
* Maintain Plant equipment in accordance with all approved maintenance procedures.
* Effectively utilizes approved casualty procedures, including the Emergency Response Plan .
* Assists the Operations Specialists and Operations and Maintenance Supervisor as assigned by maintaining Plant Technician operating skills to support the operation of the plant as required.
* Under the supervision of the Operations and Maintenance Supervisor, maintain and troubleshoot all (mechanical) plant equipment, and maintain mechanical documents in support of that goal. The completion of identified routine and abnormal condition job standards for each of the skill sets is also required.
* Conducts and receives a thorough turnover when passing on or receiving duties from another Maintenance Specialist or other personnel.
* Coordinate and monitor assigned contract personnel activities during maintenance outages or projects.
* Identifies plant deficiencies, initiates work orders and completes same as assigned.
* Maintain plant maintenance documentation as needed or assigned.
* Document plant conditions and occurrences.
* Completes required initial and recertification training as outlined in the appropriate qualification standard.
* Sets up and maintains drawings/instructional material for mechanical systems.
* Develops preventative maintenance procedures for mechanical equipment as directed by the supervisor.
* Confers with Maintenance and Operations personnel relative to adequate protective measures and ascertains that they are properly implemented.
* Engages in rigging set-ups involved in dismantling, handling, and reassembling mechanical equipment.
* Diagnoses, locates, and repairs mechanical problems.
* Performs installation, maintenance, and replacement work on associated mechanical accessories by adjusting and lubricating parts, renewing defective parts and other related devices.
* Performs a variety of duties such as checking and verifying proper equipment clearances and inspecting completed work.
* Performs balancing and alignment of station mechanical equipment. Operates all machine shop equipment for reconditioning equipment parts and fabricating new parts from stock material and setting up machines for desired operation and working within specified standards.
* Engages in all phases of oxy-acetylene, welding, and plasma-cutting as assigned.
* Engages in plumbing, insulating, carpentry
* Performs a variety of duties such as equipment inspection to determine extent of defects, diagnose faulty operation and apply corrective methods, engage in operational test, lubricate equipment, verify working clearances and check completed work.
* Engages in the operations for the alteration, installation or removal of station mechanical components by working from blueprints or sketches. Make the necessary changes, remove old and install new components and field check the material as assign ed.
* Operates mechanized equipment such as cranes and forklifts.
* Assist in the training and qualification of new Maintenance Specialists and Plant Technicians.
* Assists the supervisor in the determining required spare parts for maintaining plant mechanical systems
* Functions as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
* Assists management and the assigned Operations and Maintenance Supervisor in the planning and scheduling of work activities including Outages.
* Performs housekeeping/preservation duties as assigned (cleaning and painting equipment).
* Perform other similar or less skilled work.
* Perform other duties as applicable to the position or as assigned.
While working in certain areas of the plant there is the potential for exposure to hazards typical of an industrial working environment. Must be able to follow established protective measures including, w earing required personal protective equipment (PPE). Will work in all areas of the plant site, both indoors and outdoors. Will be expected to access all areas of the plant for inspection, operation and maintenance. Entry into confined spaces is required. Working conditions include accessing equipment at heights of 150 feet, areas of high voltage, high pressure high temperature fluids, compressed air, high pressure hydraulic and rotating equipment. Hardhat, work shoes, NFPA 70E compliant clothing, and safety glasses must be worn in the plant. Other personal protective equipment required as indicated by hazard analysis.
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Completion of a formal, accredited or certified maintenance craft training program is desirable. Additional college level coursework in math and science desirable. Completion of the Plant Technician II qualification standard is required.
1) Prior Mechanical Maintenance experience in an In dustrial Setting is required.
2) Prior Mechanical Maintenance experience in an Electrical Generating Station is desirable.
3) Prior Mechanical Maintenance experience in a Combined Cycle Plant is desirable.
Ability to qualify and maintain competency in accordance with the Mechanical qualification standard is required:
Additionally, the ability to qualify and maintain competency as Plant Technician II is required. Competency will be demonstrated by a combination of written exams, oral boards and completion of practical demonstrations as required by the qualification standards. Must have the ability to become fully qualified to perform the aspects of plant mechanical equipment maintenance. Must recertify annually on skill qualifications. Must have the ability to function effectively as a team member. Must be familiar with equipment services and operating characteristics of a power plant; must have a thorough working knowledge of safe rigging and scaffoldi ng practices and the care and use of tackle, hoist and ladders. Must remain knowledgeable of safety policies and clearance procedures. Must be able to work from complex drawings, schematics, wiring diagrams and specifications; must have demonstrated the ability to perform the work involved with the installation and maintenance of the various equipment found in a power plant, preferably a combine cycle plant and to use a variety of tools; must exhibit an ability to perform and lead crew members in work requiring a high degree of skill and expertise, to instruct less skilled personnel and assume a high degree of responsibility; must be able to communicate orders and instructions in a manner that will generate effective and efficient work performance. Must be alert, resourceful, and capable of making correct decisions in emergencies.