NOTE: SEE COVER LETTER REQUIREMENT IN ADDITIONAL POSTING INFOR FOR CANDIDATES BELOW
To provide supervisory leadership and accountability for effectiveness of staff and processes involved in the sale, management and delivery of retail electricity, energy efficiency, load management and other products and services to commercial customer segments. To ensure excellent customer experience, retention and acquisition processes and provide high quality electric services to SMUD customers.
Assists in the development and implementation of department goals, metrics, objectives, policies and priorities in partnership with the department Director; selects, trains, motivates, evaluates and develops staff and ensures that strategic objectives and priorities are achieved and coordinated effectively with other departments across the organization.
NOTE: This position posting will remain open until we have a sufficient number of qualified candidates for a competitive process. This posting may be closed any time after December 18, 2018, so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Regular - Full Time
No. of Openings
Pay Scale Group
Base Salary Annual Low
Base Salary Annual High
Initial Review, Phone Screen, Qualifications Interview, Hiring Interview
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and accountability for commercial customer accounts and provides direction for multi-disciplined staff by developing sales and customer service strategies; assuring high-quality, customized service to customers; developing business opportunities for SMUD products and services; identifying and articulating market, segment and customer requirements; negotiating terms and conditions of products and services considering both the customer and SMUD perspectives; and coordinating sales, marketing and relationship-building activities between customers and sales & marketing teams.
- Supervises the development and implementation of strategies related to retail sales of electricity and products or services, including forecasting activities and monthly/quarterly business reviews; identifying at-risk customers and customer segments; analyzing customer/segment needs in terms of current business objectives; the negotiation, execution and administration of SMUD electric service contracts in response to SMUD and customer needs.
- Directs the assessment of customer needs and benchmarking of competitor service by documenting customer needs and effective solutions offered; surveying customers for satisfaction levels and product/service interests; participating in conducting best practices analysis of customer/process requirements and performance analysis; and interpreting and communicating industry patterns, trends, impacts on pricing and sales and early warning signals of customer issues through literature search and participating in industry, governmental and professional organizations to gather intelligence.
- Develops business and customer plans, in collaboration with peers that support department and SMUD goals by identifying sales and service strategies and short- and long-term objectives; overseeing coordination of work process structure and design, desired outcomes and target productivity and efficiency measures across segments; and supporting the strategies and objectives with resource planning and budget formulation.
- Monitors and assesses the performance of work unit processes by developing and setting key performance metrics, overseeing staff in conducting documentation, reviews and studies of customer acquisition, retention and internal work processes on a continuing basis; providing forums for staff to share data, learning and ideas on process and performance improvement; providing performance measurement linkage of process steps to efficiency, cost control and/or reduction and achievement of short- and long-term project and business plans; implementing necessary process changes and related staff training to address process and performance issues;
- Directs the work of staff in a functional unit and maintains staffing levels and work quality in order to meet defined objectives and assigned responsibilities by interpreting and executing SMUD policies and procedures, recommending modifications to operating policies, overseeing and evaluating work, hiring, firing, training, coaching, mentoring and developing subordinates; ensuring staff’s safety and prevention of personal injury and equipment loss, and acting to ensure project schedules and budgets are met.
- Assists in developing and administering the department budget by monitoring budget expenditures against plan; identifying and reconciling budget anomalies; monitoring and revising schedules, expenditures and assignments as warranted; reviewing end-of-year budget results; developing budget recommendations for the next fiscal year; and participating in the review of preliminary department budget recommendations.
- Assesses resource requirements and develops recommendations for short- and long-term funding, tools, resources and facilities required to support customer acquisition, retention and internal work processes.
- Provides meaningful reports and dashboards of performance of the work unit and efficiency of processes for management.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience: At least ten(10) years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in strategic account management and sales for customer service or energy service related activities, including 5 years or more of supervisory or leadership experience; experience with program and service delivery, rates, contract negotiations; experience developing policies and programs, writing business reports and making persuasive public presentations.
Knowledge of: Customers’ business and decision making process; marketing strategy and tactics, effective sales techniques, electric utility rate making practices and procedures; energy management applications and programs and electric distribution systems; electric system operations; policies, procedures, and other special agreements; techniques of negotiation and persuasion; techniques and methods of financial evaluation; utility deregulation initiatives and utility competition; process design and principles for continuous process improvement; federal and state laws and regulations related to supervisory practices and employee rights; methods and techniques for planning, organizing, directing and controlling work activities; methods and techniques for training staff; policies and procedures for evaluating and recording performance results; principles and practices for budget administration; principles and practices for motivating, coaching, mentoring, training and developing; safety policies, practices and procedures English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Skill to: Build and maintain successful customer relationships; identify and articulate market, segment and customer requirements; identify and implement innovative and practical solutions to customer issues; develop sales proposals responding to customer needs; listen effectively to identify opportunities and solutions; plan, organize, direct, control, and review the work of others; prepare performance plans and evaluations for staff; coordinate with other SMUD entities; prepare and implement safety plans, procedures and practices for unit; develop and implement new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the area of responsibility; negotiate and process contracts and related documents and assure contractor coordination and cooperation; develop performance metrics and accountability for the staff; resolve operational and personnel problems or conflicts; handle customer complaints and resolve issues; readily adapt to change and provide change management for staff; coordinate multiple priorities and activities; identify and correct operational problems; utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Economics, Business or related field.
- Strong understanding and familiarity of the utility industry, including distributed energy resources such as energy efficiency, electric vehicles and workplace charging, solar, energy storage and energy management.
- Current knowledge of industry trends and state policy as it impacts the commercial sector.
- Proven experience developing and implementing the overall team approach for developing high-value relationships within prioritized commercial segments.
- Ability to coordinate withnetwork of stakeholders within SMUD on cross-functional initiatives.
- Empathy and flexibility to provide solutions as the customers’ trusted advisor while delivering the expected results in a timely manner.
- Ability to drive change and innovation through continually seeking and implementing value-added solutions to customers.
- Exceptional communication and engagement skills
- Experienced collaborator with ability to create strong relationships across the organization.
- Experience participating in high-performing multi-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to ensure accountability of his/her account management team members.
- Professional experience working in public sector.
- Professional experience within a utility.
Sacramento - S Street
50128042 MGR,ACCOUNT MGMT and SALES
Additional Posting Info for Candidate
COVER LETTER REQUIREMENT: To be considered for this position, please address the following questions in your cover letter. Failure to respond to these questions may preclude you from moving forward in this process:
- Please give a specific example of a target market or customer segment for which you were responsible to develop and execute a plan to increase engagement with and establish sales or program targets and goals for. Describe the process you went through, the analysis you undertook, the methods you used, and the outcomes from implementing this plan.
- Summarize your experience in developing high performing and engaged account management and sales teams through effective leadership and mentoring. Include your years of experience, where you attained this experience, the size and makeup of the teams you led, goals attained, as well as lessons learned.
- Describe a complex negotiation or deal you and/or your team were involved in with a key customer that demonstrates your leadership in working internally across multiple stakeholders in your company and/or externally with other parties to create a new or innovative solution for the customer. Describe the situation, your specific role in leading or developing the solution, and the outcome.
- Please provide a specific example that illustrates your experience in leading a field-based account management/sales team to ensure they are held accountable for key performance metrics and are effective in establishing and maintaining strong customer relationships. Include details on the key performance metrics, tools and techniques you used to monitor, track and evaluate performance.