Responsible for engineering work in fossil generation power plants or electrical transmission, construction and/or maintenance environments. Plans, designs, and estimates time and cost, and oversees construction, maintenance and/or operations of structures, facilities, systems and components in a power plant, power generation or transmission environment. Analyzes and develops solutions to technical problems relating to power generation and distribution systems and components, or the causes of component failures by applying engineering and scientific principles. Develops and applies engineering standards and procedures, and provides advice in issues within the engineering field. Applies continuous improvement (CI) principles to affect substantive and ongoing improvements in business unit (BU) activities and articulates a vision sufficient to elicit broad employee engagement. Span of control: can range to >20 jobs & >100 FTEs (direct, second-level, etc.)
- May manage one or more of the following areas/functions: Equipment Performance & Predictive Maintenance (EPPM); relay engineering; rotating performance /DR; Power Equipment & Electrical Test (PERT);Performance Services & engineering electrical laboratories (high power, rotating, power equipment, relay; Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA); Cable / DGA / Di-electric Oil & Paper.
- Generate annual health assessments for all major classes of equipment (Fossil Generation generators and switchgear, Substations, Overhead (OH), and Underground (UG))
- Drive the Asset Management strategies for all electric equipment
- Develop annual maintenance policies and annual preventive maintenance plans for DTE Electric
- Serve as the primary contact/ liaison between Distribution Operations and Fossil and Nuclear Generation for all equipment related issues and recovery from unplanned events
- Manage partnership with major equipment vendors, including tracking quality metrics, and drive the selection and evaluation of new equipment
- Act as expert witness on litigation related to electrical equipment
- Lead Distribution Operations representative to EPRI
- Major contribution to DTE’s 5-year infrastructure Investment and maintenance plan
- Performs or guides & ensures the accomplishment of the following core management functions for a given BU: planning, organizing, directing, staffing / employee selection & performance management, coordinating, reporting & budgeting.
- Manages a BU consistent with established equipment reliability standards, cost effective and performance standards & criteria.
- Establishes and manages goals and measures consistent with Corporate and broader organizational objectives and expectations. Implements corrective strategies and tactics as necessary.
- Collects information on and recommends BU-relevant best practices; incorporates such practices & procedures into the BU's operations. Monitors outcomes on an ongoing basis, analyzing & correcting performance gaps, ensuring the application of BU-appropriate continuous improvement (CI) practices intended to affect constant improvement in BU outcomes.
- Responds to BU (fossil generation or electrical system) outages, power interruptions, or other non-standard incidents as required.
- Maintains acceptable engineering standards for power, plant, protection and equipment to ensure a safe and reliable electrical system and/or fossil generation operations. Provides subject matter expertise (SME) with regard to power and protection in the electrical system and/or fossil genera-tion operations.
- Manages external contracts for services with other utilities, the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), and other external parties/customers.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a Business Unit-relevant Engineering discipline and the knowledge / capabilities typically acquired through 10-plus years of job-relevant experience, inclusive of power generation, gas, nuclear or other applicable background.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Masters degree in Engineering, Business or a related discipline
- 10 years of extensive background in Distribution System electrical equipment performance, including relay and SCADA control schemes, as well as knowledge of power plant electrical equipment
- 3 year of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of safety policies, programs and procedures
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) certification
To Apply, please visit our website at www.careers.dteenergy.com, then search for job# 377