Come Join a future looking, customer centric, data driven, innovative HR, Diversity & Inclusion Team!
SMUD is seeking a highly engaged, innovative and experienced HR professional to lead our Total Rewards team. The Manager, Total Rewards provides technical direction, leadership and day-to-day supervision to plan, develop, implement, administer and evaluate HR operations, programs and services, including:
- Employee and retiree benefits
- Classification and compensation
- Policies & procedures
- Other reward programs, systems and work processes to ensure SMUD attracts, retains and motivates a highly talented, diverse and qualified workforce.
This high-touch position engages with internal customers at all levels and across all parts of SMUD. The Manager, Total Rewards reports to the Director, Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion, and leads the team that develops and implements tailored human resources processes to deliver strategic business objectives and outcomes.
As a member of the Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion leadership team, this position helps ensure delivery of the department’s vision:
We create an environment where employees thrive and do their best. As a trusted business partner, together, we make SMUD the best place to work.
This position is a non-Civil Service (at-will) position with a salary range of: $117,000-$154,669
NOTE: This position is posted until a sufficient number of qualified applications are received and may close anytime after 10 business days (Thursday, December 6, 2018). For immediate consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Regular - Full Time
No. of Openings
Pay Scale Group
Base Salary Annual Low
Base Salary Annual High
Initial Review, Qualifications Interview, Hiring Interview
Major Duties & Responsibilities
As Manager, Total Rewards responsibilities include:
- Plans, organizes and directs HR, D&I staff in development and delivery of HR operations services and programs.
- Schedules and allocates resources to HR projects, teams and functions. Provides ongoing evaluation of programs and services and implements changes and modifications to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Interprets and executes HR and SMUD policies and procedures to ensure compliance to SMUD and governmental policies, procedures and laws.
- Manages the development, implementation, maintenance and processing of employee and retiree benefit plans/pension, strategies, and programs, including core medical, dental, vision, retirement and life insurance plans along with other benefits such as FSA, dependent care and technology allowance programs.
- Manages and administers classification and compensation programs and services to ensure competitive pay appropriate to attract, retain and motivate employees at all levels. Maintains current and accurate descriptions for SMUD job classifications.
- Manages position, employee and retiree record-keeping and transaction processing, including merit increases, salary adjustments and benefits enrollment). Oversees the audit of employee pay, benefits and position transactions.
- Develops, implements and integrates measurable strategies to sustain a workplace that supports diversity and inclusion.
- Develops and administers related operational budget. Justifies budget requirement as needed. Authorizes and approves budget expenditures and monitors expenditures against plan. Identifies and reconciles budget anomalies.
- Serves as consultant to SMUD management, supervisors and staff regarding HR, D&I Operations, services and programs.
- Oversee and support internal staff development, quality management and performance effectiveness to ensure highest possible standards of quality, consistency, accountability and value.
- Manages SMUD’s employee performance evaluation program, including the development, maintenance, implementation and monitoring of policies and standards for performance planning, appraisal and salary allocation.
- Analyzes and reviews legislation and trends related to HR operations, programs and services. Identifies the impact of new or proposed legislation on existing work processes and procedures and communicates and implements resulting changes.
- Oversees internal/external department projects, allocates staff and resources to project teams. Develops project plans, schedules, costs, milestones and work products. Negotiates contracts and. monitors work progress and completion against plan/contract, and negotiates revised schedules, scope, expenditures and assignments as warranted.
- Measures and monitors the performance and results of core HR operations processes and drives process improvement on an ongoing basis. Recommends process metrics for assessing unit effectiveness. Works closely with the HR, D&I Director to implement solutions that are aligned with and lead to achievement of SMUD’s vision and goals.
- Performs related duties as required.
BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, Finance, Public Administration or related field or equivalent experience.
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible supervisory and relevant work experience in compensation, classification, benefits, payroll or HR systems, automated record-keeping systems and/or performance evaluation systems. If you do not have a degree, nine years of experience is required.
Successful candidates must demonstrate the ability to:
What You Need to Know:
- Manage and supervise staff.
- Develop and implement policies, programs and procedures
- Manage projects/schedules
- Interpret and apply Civil Service rules, standard SMUD policies and procedures, labor agreements and government rules and regulations
- Prepare comprehensive and complex reports
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing and consult with internal customers and stakeholders
- Develop and deliver presentations to diverse audiences
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Strategic business planning methods and techniques
- Classification, compensation, performance evaluation, employee benefits, payroll processing, deferred compensation and HRIS programs
- HR record-keeping systems HR data maintenance processing
- Budgeting and project management methods and techniques
- Contract administration and negotiation techniques
- Federal, state and local laws and regulations governing HR operations
- Safety policies, practices and procedures
Certification as a Certified Compensation Professional (CCP), SPHR or equivalent is highly desirable.
50051964 MGR,TOTAL REWARDS
Additional Posting Info for Candidate
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) – Who We Are
As the nation’s sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they’re “Happy, satisfied and engaged” which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board’s policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD’s purpose, vision and values.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state’s sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country’s top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er’s aren’t far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.