You’ll be required to register in our HR portal if you haven’t already done so.
The Market Compliance group conducts cost reviews and financial analysis on the offers from companies selling electricity in New England’s wholesale electricity market and mitigating uncompetitive offers. The Market Compliance Analyst reviews and evaluates daily physical and financial offers from companies selling energy and capacity in New England’s forward and spot markets. Conduct financial analysis on offers from new and existing power plants and renewable resources in the Forward Capacity Market to determine if the offers are competitive and devoid of market power. This role is on the “front line” of the group’s market power monitoring and mitigation activities.
- Create and/or provide input into the development of financial and engineering models to estimate the variable production costs of different types of power plants (i.e., natural gas, oil, wind, solar, battery storage, etc.). Conduct analysis and develop metrics to monitor the competitive behavior of companies buying and selling wholesale electricity. Create tools to identify potential market manipulation, tariff violations and the impacts to the market
- Work with other members in the Market Compliance team to support the energy market mitigation duties as prescribed in the tariff. Be part of the “on-call rotation” to monitor offers and answer questions from companies during non-business hours
- Conduct detailed financial analysis on the offers from companies with new and existing resources to sell or retire capacity in the Forward Capacity Market. Organize and run meetings and conference calls with executive level participants to review submittals, financial documents, etc. Must be willing to ask the hard questions and demand thorough answers
- Perform “due diligence” quality reviews of financial reports, project financing models, risk assessments and engineering studies associated with the development of new capacity resources and the removal of existing capacity resources from Forward Capacity Market
- Assist in the development, testing and implementation of software tools required to perform the IMM’s responsibilities in the Forward Capacity Market
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Finance or related technical field preferred
- 5+ years wholesale electricity market or electric utility industry experience. The ideal candidate will have a focus in Engineering Economics including Production Cost and Plant Performance modeling
- Familiarity with wholesale electric and natural gas markets, as well as an understanding of opportunity costs associated with each market
- Mid to front office experience buying or selling electricity and/or natural gas
- Ability to quickly analyze data, and devise power plant buying and selling strategies, from the perspective of a profit maximizing company
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify loopholes in the current electricity and/or gas market rules, and imagine how a buyer or seller could exploit the loopholes
- Demonstrate ability to work quickly, meet deadlines and work efficiently with other
- Demonstrated ability to organize and run meetings and conference calls with executive level participants
- Experience with Excel, SAS, SQL or other relational database software to perform analysis on large databases (desirable)
- Experience conducting financial analysis, including developing and using discounted cash flow models, risk evaluation models and other financial modeling techniques
Location and Benefits
ISO New England is located in Holyoke, MA. The company provides a base salary plus bonus, competitive Medical and Dental plan, paid vacation, 401k with company match, retirement plan and more. All benefits start on your first day.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Social Networking Notice
ISO New England reserves the right to review the candidate's postings on any social networking site accessible in the public domain as part of the candidate assessment process.