Job Information Job Title: Nuclear Fuels/Materials Principal InvestigatorGrade: 220/240
Org: Fuel Design & Development
Work Location: Idaho Falls, ID (9x80 Schedule) Mission/Vision Statement Leading Nuclear Energy and Research Technology Mission: Discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure. Vision: INL will change the world's energy future and secure our critical infrastructure. Responsibilities Idaho National Laboratory is looking for an experienced technical professional to join its Fuel Design & Development department as a Nuclear Fuels/Materials Principal Investigator.
The Principal Investigator (PI) will conduct the research, development, and analysis of nuclear fuels and materials with a primary focus in the identification and development of nuclear fuels systems ranging from water cooled light-water reactors to test reactor fuel for sodium-cooled reactors.
Furthermore, the PI:
- Establishes research plans for modeling and for experimental design.
- Develops and administers projects and work packages, internal and external, ranging from out-of-pile separate effects test to irradiation/PIE testing.
- Interfaces with thermal analysis and neutronics analysis personnel to assess safety and gain approval for irradiations.
- Interfaces with experiment managers and project managers to define and execute irradiation and transient test plans and PIE.
- Is responsible for the direction and oversight of junior level scientific staff, postdocs, and/or student interns, and performs peer review of work.
- Assimilates and interprets laboratory data.
- Serves as a technical resource to others and a liaison to other departments and external collaborators.
- Serves as a major or sole contributor to the generation of reports, publications, proposals, and intellectual property.
- Represents programs and the department to sponsors and peers through programmatic and technical presentations.
- Assists with programmatic and departmental strategy development, business planning, and marketing efforts that have national and international impact.
We encourage you to apply for this great opportunity!Requirements
BS in an engineering or science related field and 8-12 years of relevant experience; or MS in an engineering or science related field and 6-8 years of relevant experience; or PhD in an engineering or science related field and 4-6 years of relevant experience
Selective Service Requirements To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visas. For more information see www.sss.gov.Employee Job Functions Employee Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job position which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
Motor Abilities - fine motor control (hands); repetitive, intermittent work
Special Senses - visually demanding work; near vision; speech discrimination
Work Conditions - stairs; typing/keyboard; working alone; working >8 hrs/day Please Apply Before: January 24, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Mountain Standard Time) Environmental, Safety and Health Statement Must be familiar with, and comply with all relevant health and safety requirements. Must be knowledgeable of emergency action policies and procedures, methods for reporting/resolving work practices or conditions to available cognizant professionals.Other Information When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.INL Overview INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 4,300 scientists, researchers and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and develop technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security and environmental missions.
The Idaho Falls Area Idaho Falls is conveniently situated near many national treasures such as Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Jackson, WY, etc. For more information about the area, please visit www.visitidahofalls.com and www.visitidaho.org. Equal Employment Opportunity Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.