POSITION DEFINITION: Operations Planning Manager (BVES)
The Manager is responsible for directing, managing, supervising, and coordinating the activities and operations of the Operations and Planning Department within Bear Valley Electric Service. This position is a management-level role requiring strategic thinking and planning skills to coordinate assigned activities with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director of BVES.
The incumbent works closely with the Director and other management teams in an environment of routinely sensitive and confidential issues. Therefore, the person in this position must have the ability to achieve and initiate policy objectives, including accountability for confidentiality of information. As a responsible professional, the Manager must be able to work with others as well as independently and exercise initiative and good judgment in the performance of the core job responsibilities of this position.
The Manager is accountable for assigned services and activities of the Operations and Planning Department. Subsequently, the Manager must be skilled in the ability to be accountable, answer questions, compile supporting data, and find immediate solutions as needed to facilitate a dynamic and high performance team and organization. Key to the area of accountability is the ability of the Manager to ensure that the Operations and Planning Department personnel are in compliance with safe operating procedures by efficiently coordinating and directing the utility's response to emergencies and setting priorities and commitment of available resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the Operations and Planning Department; recommend and administer policies and procedures
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the Long Term Capital and O&M work plan for operations and engineering staff; assign work activities, projects, and programs; review and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolves problems.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
- Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the department’s annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
- Provides information for the development of retail energy rates and participates in General Rate Case filings. Supports Regulatory Affairs on compliance issues.
- Develops contingency plans for anticipated electric system operations emergencies; participates in department disaster preparedness plan development and maintenance.
- Manages all restorations activities using available resources (BVES crews, mutual aid crews and contracted crews) to effect the most rapid, effective and efficient restoration of power to customers experiencing power outages.
- Ensures compliance with CPUC directives including regulations, decisions, codes and General Orders. Familiar with General Orders 95, 128, 165, 166, and 174.Ensures compliance with federal regulations regarding system security and reliability.
- Directs the implementation and maintenance of an Outage Management System (OMS) and coordinates with other divisions the use of OMS data and maintenance of the system.
- Participates in the update, planning, development and implementation of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), telecommunication and radio systems.
- Serves as the liaison for the Operations and Planning Department with other departments and outside agencies; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Serves as staff on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Provides responsible staff assistance to the Director of BVES; conducts a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommends modifications to electric operations programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Manages all service contracts supporting the Operations and Planning Department in accordance with the company procurement policies.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the Bear Valley Power Plant. Ensures strict compliance with BVPP Operating Permit and SCAQMD requirements.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of electric utilities systems operations; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above job description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills or competencies associated with this job.
May include but not limited to travel to other Company facilities, standing, climbing, walking, lifting, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, sitting, typing, walking, reading, writing, color determination, speaking and listening for extended periods of time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, business or technical discipline with major course work in electrical engineering, construction management, business or a related field
- Eight years of increasingly responsible electric systems operation and planning experience including four years of administrative and supervisory experience
- Prior experience working and directing employees working under a collective bargaining agreement is essential
- Prior experience in union negotiations is preferred
- Demonstrated skills in negotiations
- Experience interacting with utility regulators and knowledge of regulatory processes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, project management knowledge, organizational ability and customer relation skills required
- Innovation and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with team members is essential.