Company: Southwest Generation Operations Company, LLC
REPORTS TO: SVP Operations and Technical Services
Responsible for leading all engineering functions to assure SWG fleet operates at maximum performance and profitability. Lead all engineering and resulting project management, budgeting and planning of all fleet facilities including operations, major maintenance, environmental compliance and safety projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and work with all stakeholders to develop actionable intel to resolve operational issues and improve the performance of the fleet assets through condition-based maintenance initiatives that maximize reliability and availability of fleet.
- Implement, coordinate, and manage all engineering, technical and commercial related initiatives that improve performance, availability and reliability.
- Manage consultants providing services to the assets; and ensure technical obligations and performance requirements are met to meet corporate objectives.
- Provide engineering leadership and support for all facility equipment forced outages, sparing, root cause analysis (RCA), technical projects.
- Initiate/grow relationships with all facility teams, OEMs, key equipment suppliers, regulatory agencies and corporate management.
- Provide corporate oversight and project management for all facilities in the areas of outage management, equipment inspections, plant performance, environmental, and specialized testing as required.
- Participation in fleet administrative maintenance, fleet operating manuals, predictive maintenance programs and resulting policy and procedures.
- Support corporate and fleet operations on all environmental reporting and allowance management.
- Support corporate and fleet operations and planning (O&P) NERC compliance requirements by serving as technical engineering subject matter expert for NERC standards.
- Oversee performance monitoring, data collection, and data analysis of power plant systems as related to environmental compliance.
- Develop detailed request for proposal documents on required engineering projects as well as capital repair projects.
- Lead engineering and technical support for corporate merger and acquisition efforts. Provide technical due diligence with a focus on operations, regulatory conditions, environmental and major maintenance evaluations.
- Assist management and plant managers on comprehensive annual business plan and budget for all capital projects as environmental affairs and safety program compliance.
- Develop and maintain long term major maintenance plans and cost schedules that meet corporate objectives and reporting requirements.
- Attend conferences to maintain comprehensive knowledge of all industry and region specific environmental and safety programs.
- Work under limited to no supervision.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
- Participate and promote a strong safety culture
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline or science from accredited college or university, or equivalent applicable experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in thermal power plant operations, maintenance, equipment services, design engineering, services engineering, and customer support.
- Experience with GE aeroderivative/frame combustion turbines, steam turbines, controls, heat recover steam generators, emission controls equipment desirable.
- Experience with equipment overhauls and overhaul management is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence others. Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity in all dealings with or on behalf of SWG at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, verbal skills that are persuasive, and the ability to promote business initiatives.
- Ability to anticipate and accept changes in the organization and adapt to meet new requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and various other programs. Familiar with OSI PI software as user is preferred. Thermal modeling software such as GT Pro and GateCycle is preferred.
- Technical competencies include: process improvement, relationship building, strong written and verbal communication skills, and strategic and critical thinking.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with individuals in all areas of the Company and outside vendors.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Effective time management and organizational skills; able to balance multiple priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure with multiple competing deadlines
- Knowledge and experience with environmental regulations, permits, testing as well as emission-reduction equipment and monitoring equipment is preferred
- Knowledge and experience with current FERC/NERC facility requirements and compliance is preferred
- Able to make routine public contact with equipment contractors, service suppliers, and regulatory agencies.
- Must be well versed in administrative requirements of power generating facility operation including basic understanding of contracts administration, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Knowledge of EHS related regulations, chemical and hazardous material management, and comprehensive safety programs.
- Successful track record working in a matrix organization and building / leading cross-functional teams
- Strong technical aptitude and analytical skills; strong problem solver
- The job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and filing cabinets.
- The position requires quick response to plant conditions that may involve extended and/or abnormal work hours.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The employee will comply with all site-specific hazardous materials and personal protective equipment including but not limited to safety glasses, hard hats, hearing protection, high voltage equipment while performing duties at the facility sites.
- This position requires up to 30% travel. Travel is frequently outside the local area and overnight. Some of the travel may be international.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.