Star West Generation is an innovative independent power producer focused on clean, reliable, and efficient power generation serving North American markets.
Plant Engineer – Kingman, AZ
As the Plant Engineer, you will be responsible for the support of maintenance initiatives, plant improvements, plant efficiency, and performance analysis. In this dedicated role, we will rely on you to oversee the maintenance and repair of plant facilities and equipment. You will manage the implementation of the plant's maintenance program and identify and correct those items which need improvements or additional work. In addition, you will work with the plant staff to assure plant facilities and equipment are maintained in a safe and efficient operating condition at all times.
- Ensures complete compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety and supports the overall plant compliance by establishing and maintaining a high level of professional, personnel and equipment safety and environmental consciousness and compliance of standards and practices.
- Facilitates reliability and condition based maintenance initiatives to identify and develop improvements to predictive, preventive, corrective and spare parts inventory maintenance programs for maximized reliability and availability.
- Maintains NERC reporting system, MicroGADs, EIA, FERC fillings as well as tracking forced outages, derates and loss of generation. Prepares other required reports for the owner, regulatory entities and customer as necessary. Maintain the necessary records and data to ensure the facility is compliant with regards to requirements established by NERC and the respective regional reliability entity.
- Makes recommendations regarding modifications to the plant for improved performance, availability and reliability. Recommendations may involve development of, or revisions to, equipment operating procedures, system operating changes, design changes, and modification to, or replacement of, plant equipment including control devices and/or logic.
- Coordinates and conducts performance, functional, and surveillance testing of plant systems and components. Compares data with established standards, and interprets data with respect to component wear, malfunction, and necessity for repair or replacement. Continually strives to improve all plant equipment performance. Performs analysis of test data and calculations to determine performance levels and efficiencies of equipment. Maintains performance and acceptance test reports.
- Administers and monitors the plant performance monitoring system (PI). Prepares reports and generate trends and data from PI as required.
- Analyzes equipment failures, incidents, accidents, and unusual events, and provides analyses, root cause analysis, recommendations, recommended recovery plans, reports, and appropriate follow up of cost effective solutions to prevent reoccurrences.
- As assigned, conducts inspections of boilers, HRSGs, pressure vessels, combustion turbine, steam turbine, generators and auxiliary equipment during forced and planned outages.
- Participates in the administrative maintenance of plant operating manuals, technical references, prints and diagrams and preventive/predictive maintenance records and ensure that vendor maintenance reports and repair records are properly filed and kept up-to-date.
- Provides guidance to the Maintenance Lead relative to equipment conditions and priorities of maintenance activities as related to the operation, readiness or reliability of the plant. Provides task lists and schedules for plant maintenance and contractor personnel for projects, planned outage periods, and forced outage situations.
- Assists in developing the annual budget and in identifying and implementing plant and/or profitability improvement projects. Provides technical support in bid preparation specifications, evaluation of bid proposals and monitoring contractor work to assure contract compliance. Manages capital improvement projects to ensure budgetary guidelines and contractual guarantees are met.
- Responds quickly to plant conditions or requirements which may involve extended and/or abnormal work hours.
- Performs other collateral duties as may be assigned.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Operates from established and well-known procedures performing duties independently under general direction and minimum supervision. Decisions are made within prescribed operating procedures and guidelines.
- Encounters recurring work situations of high complexity, with occasional variations from the norm.
- Has partial project budgetary preparation and compliance accountability.
- All employees have the responsibility to the owners, customers and their co-workers to do the job right the first time and to ensure the customers' needs are being met.
- The Plant Engineer reports to the Plant Manager and coordinates with the Assistant Plant Manager and the Maintenance Lead. Assignments will involve external contact with engineering firms, sales and service personnel and vendors to discuss new implementation or modifications to existing equipment, resolve problems and exchange information.
- Frequent daily contact with all plant personnel to resolve problems, provide technical support and exchange information. Interactions with plant staff frequently require detailed and complete discussion, analysis, interpretation, and/or approvals.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Physical requirements may include; working on feet for extensive periods, requiring stair and ladder climbing; and routinely lifting 50 pounds.
- Protective equipment such as hard hats, safety glasses, respiratory protection, hearing protection and high voltage protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties.
- Knowledge of work with hazardous materials required.
- Position may require extended working hours with the possibility of weekend and holiday work, as required by schedules, work load and plant conditions.
- All employees will participate in the Fitness for Duty program. This program includes pre/post-employment physical examinations and drug screening.
- There are extensive tobacco use restrictions in and around the facility.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline and/or at least 10 years applicable experience in power plant maintenance and operations. Experience should include the coordination of operations and maintenance activities including experience with project scheduling and budgeting. Familiarity with ASME Performance Test Codes, Power Piping Code, and Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is desired.
- Must be self-directed with the ability to analyze complex operational, maintenance, or commercial problems and direct their resolution. Make sound recommendations to the Plant Manager and owners both verbally and in writing and provide supporting documentation as required. Shall promptly identify and correct emergent problems in power plant equipment, maintenance, and operations.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in technical writing and possess a working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, project management software, and real-time performance management software such as OSIsoft PI systems.
- Valid driver's license required.
- The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
We offer competitive compensation packages to our employees including a highly competitive annual salary. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, vacation, and 401K plan with a company contribution.
To respond to this opportunity, please send your resume to:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.