UPPCO seeks an experienced Plant/Fixed Asset Accountant to join their team in Marquette, Michigan. This position will be responsible to perform accounting processes related to fixed asset accounting, reporting and policy; maintaining accurate fixed asset books/records and provide timely and accurate data required for accounting, analysis, and reporting of Company’s fixed assets. The successful candidate will build strong business relationships with the operational and financial teams. This position reports to the Manager of Accounting.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PLANT/FIXED ASSET ACCOUNTANT.
- Determine appropriateness of and prepare entries, corrections and adjustments to plant and specified asset accounting records.
- Evaluate variances; analyze effects of transactions on account relationships related to financial statements.
- Maintain strong understanding of capitalization rules, regulations and industry best practices; provide leadership and educational support to the organization to ensure costs are capitalized in accordance with rules and regulations.
- Process additions/retirements/adjustments to Projects and Fixed Asset accounting systems.
- Produce accurate and timely accounting records for all fixed asset additions/transfers/retirements and depreciation and amortization including journal entries, documentation, account and subsystem reconciliations, roll forward schedules (where applicable) and reports.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports related to Plant Accounting areas of responsibility.
- Maintain Projects and Fixed Asset accounting systems (PowerPlan); use available tools to query those systems for information.
- Understand and support relationship between Projects, Fixed Assets and General Ledger.
- Reconcile fixed assets accounts to general ledger on monthly basis.
- Coordinate preparation of annual property tax filings.
- Partner with Regulatory in support of regulatory filings including drafting testimony, responding to data requests, providing recommendations on cost recovery and testifying (when necessary).
- Partner with Tax to provide accurate and timely data for tax accruals, audits and filings.
- Perform year-end close procedures and support the annual audit; prepare and provide audit support including PBC Schedules, roll-forwards and analytical worksheets.
- Keep-up with industry trends and developments; deep-dive into relevant topics as they apply to our utility and compliance requirements.
Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS OUR PLANT/FIXED ASSET ACCOUNTANT.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field required; MBA a plus.
- 5 years of fixed asset accounting experience required.
- Advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, Vlookups) required.
- Experience with PowerPlan or a similar fixed asset system.
- In-depth knowledge of FASB/GAAP.
- Knowledge/experience in utility accounting industry and FERC uniform system of accounts a bonus.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong ERP/Business Information Warehouse/Data Query experience.
- Understanding of the interrelationship between utility rate making, tax, and general purpose accounting concepts, a bonus.
- Deferred tax and tax provision experience, a bonus.
- Working knowledge of SAP or similar software and business technology applications, a bonus.