The Energy Authority (TEA) is currently seeking a Portfolio Manager whose primary responsibility is to ensure TEA’s portfolio management services are delivered in a manner that is consistent with each client’s objectives. The ideal candidate will maintain a deep understanding of clients’ electric utility systems, market fundamentals, available products, market structure, competition, market issues, trends, etc. in the energy markets relevant to client portfolios, including but not limited to power, fuel, (natural gas, coal, oil) and emissions and actively pursue opportunities to bring additional value to TEA’s Members and Partners by monetizing the optionality embedded in their portfolio of resources.
- Develops strong relationships with clients’ staff involved in the portfolio management process
- Provides guidance and leadership to Analytics and Financial Analysts as it pertains to better ways to communicate portfolio data to clients
- Communicates long-term strategies to appropriate TEA staff in order to ensure alignment between longterm strategies and shorter-term strategies and tactics
- Fosters an environment of open communication and information sharing on the desk
- Shares knowledge to mentor, develop, and empower individuals on the desk
Value & Service Delivery
- Manages overall product delivery within the market strategy arena, audits the effectiveness of TEA’s market-driven deliverables and adjusts as needed, and researches new and better strategies and ways of presenting strategies
- Understands clients’ goals, assets, business objectives, portfolio management metrics, and competitive and political pressures
- Full transaction capabilities for physical power products, including options, and provides full range of flexibility across all physical and financial commodity markets
- Actively participates as member of the Portfolio Management team and communicates ideas that help integrate TEA’s services and self into clients’ strategic functions
- Provides feedback to Client Services Managers (CSM) and each Portfolio team member to ensure performance improvement
- Delivers client education concerning TEA portfolio management services and industry issues. This includes presenting updates on market developments that impact clients. Provides education to clients that maintains and enhances their level of understanding of Portfolio Management and Hedging
- Where appropriate, participates in Risk Management Committee meetings with client and serves as the Subject Matter Expert and content provider for market-based commentary and strategy adjustments, in coordination with the CSM
- Analyzes and evaluates complex energy transactions to ensure that all relevant aspects, including energy pricing, transmission, counterparty contractual and credit terms, are favorable to and consistent with client objectives and TEA/client guidelines for risk management
- Develops market-based strategies across all commodities and time horizons to help client meet its goals.
- Ensures that strategy recommendations and related communications (e.g., market updates) to client are current, understandable, and high quality
- Identifies and implements initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness on the desk and within TEA
Directly supervises a team. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training, and developing employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Supervises exempt and non-exempt employees.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in applicable field (e.g., finance, economics, and business) required. Advanced degree such as an MBA or Masters in Finance strongly preferred. Must have five or more years’ experience in physical and financial energy markets. Must possess attributes to be a leader. A network of strong relationships with southeastern counterparties is a plus.
Must be able to establish trusting relationships with clients and be an effective communicator with individuals and both small and larger audiences. Must be a strong team player who places the goals of TEA and its Members above personal or team goals.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of tools, technology and systems used on the trading floor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Achievement Focus
- Business Acumen
- Job Knowledge
- Organization and Planning
- Personal Responsibility
CORPORATE VALUES REQUIRED
The ideal candidate will possess the following values:
- Customer Focus